Buying a second computer and using the Suunto Vyper as a backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Suunto Vyper I bought years ago. I would like to buy another computer and keep the Suunto as a backup. So my idea would be to buy something completely different. Suunto is very fine, I am happy with it. It is very complete and even has a function for planning dives and making simulations, etc. etc. I find it a bit less intuitive than other computers. For me it's fine but it requires some training to understand how to use it. It is very conservative. One day I could step up to technical diving

So what would you suggest as a new computer? Let me say: non Suunto, very easy and intuitive display and buttons, possibly not too conservative, good for technical diving, and with a good and self explanatory software to analyze the data after the dives and especially graphs

Not planning to get a computer with an air transmitter. That maybe is useful to understand air consumption but it is also relatively expensive and I don't think I really need it (I might be wrong anyway)

You want to go tech? - > shearwater perdix/teric.
I prefer perdix.

You dont want to go tech?
There are a lot of options. I still prefer shearwater. But perdix/teric might be a bit too expensive.

But there is a solution:
Shearwater peregrine.
Its without AI and compass and tech mode. But still is a very good computer with a lot of options. Gas switches, tissue graphs...

If i were you i would go with the peregrine. (if you dont want to go tech)

Buy a dedicated tec computer when you are ready!
Most if not all non-RGBM computers would be least conservative than Sunnto.
Happy shopping and good luck.

I know a few people using the (Suunto) EON Steel, and EON core, which they are very happy with.

Shearwater are very popular here (on ScubaBoard), I would seriously consider a Shearwater.
OSTC are a good make as well, German rather than Canadian. Excellent customer support. I really like my (late partners) OSTC.

I have a (Suunto) Vyper (old version), a (Suunto) Zoop (which I mainly lend to students), and an OSTC.
Normally I dive CCR, so I dive the CCR inbuilt computer, and the OSTC (both as a backup and to track my OC buddies). The OSTC is (was) the bottom of the range version, (not Trimix or CCR), but it still does three Nitrox mixes switchable at any time. So I can accelerate the Deco on the OSTC if I want to bring the required deco penalty down (closer to the CCR), most of the time, because I'm with an OC diver, I don't need too.
On OC I use the OSTC and Vyper.
I used to have an (older) Vytec, it was great computer until it flooded after 10 years + of service, "Operator Error", when I changed a battery. :(. Before I had the OSTC I used to use this as my main OC computer.

Have a look at the OSTC range.

Suunto is a conservative piece of ****. That I used for many years as a backup BECAUSE it was a conservative piece of ****

Using your suunto as a backup with a less conservative computer may not work if your less conservative computer is allowing dive profiles that causes your suunto to lock up.

Recommend getting a 2nd computer similar to what you have and then transition to less conservative computer(s) when you decide to go tech.

-Z

Interesting...I am supposed to do exactly the opposite of what I thought. So getting a second Suunto might even be the best idea

As far as I know there are also other options, some of them maybe locally known but not common out of Italy: DiveSoft (quite recommended I have heard around), AV1, Divecomputer, Mares/Uwatec, Scubpro/Galileo, DiveSystem, etc. etc.
Given the price it's probably best to wait and to get a Tech computer only when I will already take the Tech courses

The Suunto EON core anyway seems to be a relatively cheaper one and could be an option, also because it would be a second Suunto computer so compatible with the one I already have. Maybe if I find a good second hand one it could make sense

It doesn't make any sense to get a second computer running a different algorithm, since you will have no way of knowing which one to follow. If you're going to keep the Suunto, you're more or less stuck buying a second one. Or you could just sell it, or toss it.

If you are going to use two different algorithms then make sure the "liberal one" is the back up and not the other way round!!!!
There are plenty of cheapo around but make sure it can be set to gauge mode to be used as bottom timer in the future.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom