Buying a new regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadowdaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, all,

So, I am planning to buy my first regulator. I've looked, asked dive masters I know and researched many.
It seems like the average price is around $700 for ScubaPro Mk35/S600 setup. In my mind that's a bit too much, even for a life support equipment, in my mind.
So, I've set on Atomic Z2X which is $500 from a LDS in So Florida, where I'll be on vacation next week.
But then, as I was reading forums I came by HOG regulators. And the whole idea of self service appeals to me very much, plus the price is much cheaper, max $300 for the whole set up. (Where's Atomic setup is $500 only for 1st and 2nd stage)

My main concern is that HOG (as far as I researched) is not Nitrox compatible, where as Atomic Z2X is. I was planning to do Nitrox at some point, so it does make sense to buy a setup that supports it.

HOG is very appealing, even if I'll have to skip out on Nitrox. (Most of my diving is during warm time in NJ and couple of times a year, once in So Florida)

I will greatly appreciate any of your thoughts. Maybe I missed some other arguing points...
Thanks!
Dimmi

I think you'll find that any regulator is good for up to 40% O2.
There are plenty of HOG's being used with 100%.

I don't own a HOG but it's pretty much impossible to find a reg containing o-rings/lubes that cannot be used with Nitrox <40%.

If you were to end up using stronger O2 mixes down the road, I'm pretty sure you can re-fit the reg with O2 compatible parts.

Hog 1st stages are DIN not Yoke. If you travel a lot you may find that to be a disadvantage. IDK what's common in NJ. There is a din->yoke adapter available also.

You'll also need some technical training to be allowed to take the course - which I believe is required to buy parts:
Technical Diving International (TDI) agreed and together we worked out the HOG/TDI repair Specialty. The course is open to TECHNICAL divers. What that means is that the student has taken a technical level course. For example a TDI Nitrox course, but not SDI Nitrox, Intro to tech, GUE Fundamentals with a tech pass, but not a recreational pass.

Thanks, all. I think I am going to set on the Atomic.
Thanks all for your input!

Just so you know

Technical Diving International (TDI) agreed and together we worked out the HOG/TDI repair Specialty. The course is open to TECHINAL divers. What that means is that the student has taken a technical level course. For example a TDI Nitrox course, but not SDI Nitrox, Intro to tech, GUE Fundamentals with a tech pass, but not a recreational pass.

EDGE/HOG does not teach this class, EDGE/HOG dealers who wish to participate and have a TDI HOG Repair Specialty Instructor on staff teach the class.

EDGE/HOG does NOT sell parts to end users. EDGE and HOG dealers are permitted to sell parts. EDGE /HOG recommends that parts are only sold to those with formal training in regulator repair.

We (dealers) can sell parts to anyone we choose. Some dealers have them right on their web site and you just chuck em into the cart. I have sold parts to those who did not want to do the class and did not want to send them back to me. But they had a local tech who agreed to do the service as long as he could get the official kits. No problem there.

And all HOG regs are O2 compatible out of the box for 100% to 2400 PSI and 80% to 3400 PSI. Edge regs are geared towards the recreational market and should be dealer serviced. You can also for now couple HOG seconds with Epic 1sts for a yoke set up and they are also nitrox compatible. There are some of the Epic 1sts in yoke still available. The Epic 1st is the HOG D-2 with a different finish so performance is just as good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom