Buying a new or used regulator - how to do it safely?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well I'll start this one off since the other guys took the last few, but the air you are breathing is at ambient pressure not interstage pressure, and interstage pressure is x+ambient not just straight x. If you were breathing straight interstage pressure your lungs would explode quite quickly, that is why there is an air chamber in the second stages. Without it it would be quite dangerous.

Pistons are also not any cheaper to service or purchase once you are at the high end of the spectrum, seen Atomic and Scubapro's pricing lately?

1. I usually don't do that with used regs, preferring to have them taken to a technician first *usually my kitchen table, but I'd rather have a shop bench test them, usually costs $10 to have them check all of the things you need to know*

2,3,4,5 see 1

6. If you know how to do that, you wouldn't be reading this article

7. doesn't really matter because they aren't going to remember that regulator and most of the time they won't have service records

8. 9. valid

10. doesn't matter, regulators should be service when they ask for it which is usually much longer than that service interval. At that interval take it to the tech and ask them to bench test it for IP and cracking pressure, if it checks out, then adjust as needed and keep diving. Service intervals exist only to make dive shops money, I have quite a few of your 1/100 type regulators with well over 500 dives on them, and most of my dives are well over an hour long in caves or wreck penetration, so there's that.... The key is to use them regularly, they don't like sitting

11. probably most important thing you mentioned

12. I have a Poseidon Cyklon made in 1959, I can still buy every part for it, it was the first of the "modern style" 2 stage regulators. I have buddies with Dacors from 10 years ago that while they can be serviced, they don't make parts for them any more, age has nothing to do with it, it's all about what is still supported.

Dust cap is for dust, not water. Leave the reg connected to the tank and pressurized when dunking, the valve needs rinsing too

Don't ever leave a regulator out in the sun, it destroys rubber hoses very quickly and makes the second stage housings brittle. Hanging it up in a decently well ventilated place works just fine, i.e. draped over the bathroom curtain rod. Don't leave it near refrigerators or in the garage unless it is locked in a rubbermaid since ozone doesn't play nice with rubber and plastic either

Second most expensive piece to what? If paying new prices regs are much more expensive than BC's, and other than a drysuit I can't think of anything that comes close.... I also don't care about seeing service histories because it doesn't really matter. All soft parts can be replaced during a normal service and last I checked metal doesn't degrade. If the gear looks like it is going to work, it probably is....

A couple of additions. 1) Can lights can get pretty pricey and cost as much or more than a high-end regulator. Hopefully the costs will drop in the future. 2) Metal doesn't degrade, but internal surfaces can get scratched by poor servicing rendering the regulator worthless. 3) You are correct that she should change the word "obsolete" to "serviceable". For some regulators parts are no longer available or service is difficult to come by, so the person should pick another regulator.

I think the first question in the article should be where do you purchase the used regulators, in person or online? If you are purchasing off eBay then there is no way to physically examine the regulators before purchase. So most of the examination procedure outlined would be after the sale.

1, true on canisters, but I don't think a $1500 UWLD or LM was in the scope of that article....

2. true on surfaces but is the person reading that article going to know how to take the regulator apart and evaluate those scratches from those seen by general wear and tear on the outside of the regs? see take to good service tech and have it bench tested.

Moral of story though is most regulators are going to be good to go after they get a normal service and the best thing to do is call your shop of choice and make sure that specific regulator is still supported, if it looks good on the outside odds are in your favor the inside is good. You don't see that many bad service jobs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom