Buying a first bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and, also for the record, LL Bean and REI have a no questions asked return policy. I believe that if manufacturers were thoughtful, they would have some sort of return policy. Even if this was to supply shops with some trial BCDs that customers could try out during classes. That way the burden wouldn't fall to the shop owner who would be the apt to sell more units. Who would buy a car without a test drive? Most stores allow you to run around the block before buying a pair of running shoes. Sorry for rambling

They are called rentals. Do your homework, read reviews, ask opinions and talk to divers, figure out what you want then buy it. If there is a problem with the unit then the shop will certainly make it right, but to buy it with the intent of returning a used item isn't fair to the shop regardless of what LL Bean's policy is. Why should the shop take the financial risk/hit? If you decide you can't live with the BC then it's up to you to sell it/ebay it and buy another.

When I was researching gear I came across the SP Seahawk, did my homework, and liked everything I read about it. During pool sessions I used the rental to see if I liked it, bought my own before my check out dives. Couldn't be happier with it. It was a win for me and the LDS.

I would like to purchase a bcd so that I can practice buoyancy / trim without having to re-learn on every rental. Do any bcd's have return policies or once it leaves the store, is it yours for life.
Thanks!
We offer a deal. 100% of a one time rental of any DEMO gear, B.C., regulator, computer, etc. can be applied to purchase of a new item. 50% applies to purchase of a used item. I believe many stores offer some kind of a deal.

If you buy an item from us, then use it and aren't satisfied. We work with with you to get you into something that fits your needs.

The problem with rentals is that many shops only rent one make and model of BC -- and mostly those are the ones they use for classes, which are all jackets. It's hard to find alternative gear -- back inflates or backplates -- to rent, and sometimes hard to find them even to borrow. (Not in Seattle!) Advising someone to rent is great advice, until you look around and realize what they will be renting.

The problem with rentals is that many shops only rent one make and model of BC -- and mostly those are the ones they use for classes, which are all jackets. It's hard to find alternative gear -- back inflates or backplates -- to rent, and sometimes hard to find them even to borrow. (Not in Seattle!) Advising someone to rent is great advice, until you look around and realize what they will be renting.
Correct! Most rental gear is basic. We will rent a spectrum from basic to the extreme.

As for B.C.'s, we rent BP/Wing or any type of jacket. I believe there maybe a trend to rent better gear.

It's a great idea to get your own BC (and other equipment) because then you can figure out where to place your weights for effortless horizontal trim.
This jumped out at me. I can't speak for others but I do make an effort to be trimmed properly. There is definitely an element of control that requires work and thinking.

That said- it aint' that hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom