Buying a first bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derffie

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a bcd so that I can practice buoyancy / trim without having to re-learn on every rental. Do any bcd's have return policies or once it leaves the store, is it yours for life.
Thanks!

Return policies based on what? If there is a manufacturer defect then there should be no issue returning it. If it never got wet then there should be no issue. If you're just returning it because you decided you didn't like the BCD then there's typically no return. That would be like buying a power tool from Home Depot, using it for a week and then returning it because you didn't like it. It's still a used product and can no longer be sold as a new one. Dive shops are small businesses and don't do the volume to be able to absorb costs like that. Fine a shop that has BCDs you can try before buying in their pool. Or just do a lot of research before buying.

Once they're subjected to salt water or chlorine, they have very little re-sale use for many shops.

My experience is that it isn't the BCD that gives you good buoyancy control and trim- it's all up to you as a diver practising to have good buoyancy and trim. That said, I preferred my old Seaquest 'back-inflate' jacket compared to the 'typical' jacket BCD that I'm currently using. Size is important- many divers I see have BCD's that are too large for them- IME the snugger the better.

There are 3 basic styles:
Typical jacket
Back Inflate
Backplate/wing.

For a regular diver, I'd recommend a simple no-frills back inflate with trim pockets, and a couple of D-rings to attach things if necessary. The simpler, the better.

You don't say where you are from or what your diving interests are. In my experience those play a large part in selection of a BC. If you are only doing warm water recreational diving most any BC will do. Though I agree with supergaijin that simpler is better. By a long shot. My own preferences run towards a BPW and something like the Zeagle Express Tech. Anything else is not necessary as far as features. Pockets may be nice to have on a BC but most are poorly designed in terms of function and access. Integrated weights? Absolutely not necessary but ok for warm water. Cold water with heavy exposure suits and lots of lead? Only if you know how to properly distribute the weight. From my vantage point many divers have no clue as to how to do that. And neither do their instructors.

Asking about return policies right off the bat is an indication that you don't know what you need or want and need to do more research. What types have you used to this point and what did or didn't you like about them? How many times have you used each type? Does your rental source have different types you can try?

And here's a little tip that is not passed on to most OW students. Reason is many instructors don't realize it or know how to pass it on. If you understand and know how to properly weight yourself, know and understand what actual neutral buoyancy is and how to achieve it, and know and understand what trim is and how that is achieved then the choice of BC is irrelevant. A diver who understands these things can take any BC, whether if fits well or does not, and even if over weighted can get neutral and horizontal in just a few minutes in the water.

Thanks very much. I appreciate the comment that control is more of a skill than a function of the bcd.

That would be like buying a power tool from Home Depot, using it for a week and then returning it because you didn't like it.

You can do that at home depot

...and, also for the record, LL Bean and REI have a no questions asked return policy. I believe that if manufacturers were thoughtful, they would have some sort of return policy. Even if this was to supply shops with some trial BCDs that customers could try out during classes. That way the burden wouldn't fall to the shop owner who would be the apt to sell more units. Who would buy a car without a test drive? Most stores allow you to run around the block before buying a pair of running shoes. Sorry for rambling

It's a great idea to get your own BC (and other equipment) because then you can figure out where to place your weights for effortless horizontal trim.

Some shops will allow a return of gear that doesn't fit, and others won't. It's important to ask your particular shop what their policy is.

That's why there are rental BC's. If your shop does not have enough of a selection tell them. Or go elsewhere. A BC is a big ticket item. Few shops can carry one or more of each size and afford to allow someone to buy it and then take it back just because they don't like it.

You cannot compare it to something like a mask. I have a try and return policy on masks as long as it's not broken, scratched, or otherwise messed up. Try it in the pool a few times and if it does not work send it back for a refund minus shipping or exchange for another model. I can then use it in my classes or sell it as a demo unit and afford to take a small loss.

BC? nah. Once you put it in water it loses about 50% of it's value in my mind. I don't know how many times you had it in the water, what kind of water, how well you rinsed it out, etc..

And you can't compare it to a car. Dealers have specific demo models. And truth be told most test drives end up in some kind of sale. Car dealers are also much larger and there are a lot more of them than dive shops.

Do your homework, get some unbiased opinions, and so what it you don't exactly like the model you choose. Learn to dive it and learn to make it work.

Or just buy a BPW and set it up the way you want it. If you decide you don't like it the resale value is going to be much better than a jacket or back inflate. But unless it's defective don't plan on being able to give it back or trade it in for full value.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2013 at 11:31 AM ----------

I have never seen a store that will let me take a pair of shoes around the block and first. What would they do with the rejects. Don't know where someone's feet have been. That's just gross.

There are many articles about BCs from which you should be able to learn quite a bit. Here is one that I particularly like, in no small part because it is from a magazine that doesn't have any particular "dog in the fight" AND it discusses the BCD type I urge my students to consider (and buy).

Alert Diver | Backplate Buoyancy Systems

Please read it and think about the possibilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom