Buying a compressor to save money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having your own compressor is filling your tank for free!
And the next fill is also for free.

.....until:
  1. you have to change the MS/AC filter(s).
  2. you get the electricity bill.
  3. your air smells like sour milk (and likely were too late for point 1).
  4. you realise that the condensate should be drained every 15 minutes instead of every 15 years (this one can get really expensive).
  5. your compressor needs maintenance.
Wear and tear of a compressor is determined by the starts/stops, and the rotation speed. Small portable compressors run usually over 2500rpm with a relatively low fill speed. They get really hot and not built for continuous operation (so after filling 1 tank, they need to cool down).
Compressors built for continuous operation usually run around 1000 - 1500 rpm.

The need to starting (and stop) a compressor can be reduced by using banks, so the compressor can fill the bank in one long run.

Filters are usually sold sealed (this is where the compressor manufacturers make their money), but if you have a refillable cartridge, it's a lot cheaper to refill the cartridges yourself. The lifetime of a filter depends on the size and the humidity in your area.
A compressor without back-pressure valve or pressure maintenance valve will diminish the lifetime of a filter even faster.

The condensate can be drained automatically if the compressor is equipped with an ACD. A timer opens a solenoid every 15 minutes during 6 seconds to drain the moisture. Small compressors are usually without ACD and require manual drainage.

Not a fact but my opinion:
4-stage compressors manufactured between 1960 and 1985 were built-to-last-forever. No problem at all if the runtime clock shows several thousand hours of operation (with proper maintenance).

Small compressors are usually without ACD and require manual drainage.

This part does suck. I have found that I drain every 10m in the summer and thus far have upped it to every 15 now that it's cooler / less humid out. Having to babysit the compressor does get boring on longer runs... hr not so bad, but I've had twice now where it's been a 3 hr run, that's very boring.

This part does suck. I have found that I drain every 10m in the summer and thus far have upped it to every 15 now that it's cooler / less humid out. Having to babysit the compressor does get boring on longer runs... hr not so bad, but I've had twice now where it's been a 3 hr run, that's very boring.
The solution:
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-29 at 15.37.52.jpeg

Cost?

There's a part of me that says I should babysit the compressor so I can be quick to deal with any issues that come up. I can be absent minded... stepping away for a 5 min business call and that turning into something else.... well I could see an AL tank getting filled to 4K real quick, lol.

The flip side is I just bought bank bottles that I need to get into operation. Being able to step away for ~ an hr would be awesome. For that, semi-automation sounds really good.

It depends probably on the type of compressor you have. The one in the photo is for draining the 2nd, 3rd and 4th compressor stage of a Bauer K14.
if it ever breaks, I 100% will be on here crying how dumb I was for buying a compressor:rolleyes:
Aaah, that's why you need to buy another compressor!

It depends probably on the type of compressor you have. The one in the photo is for draining the 2nd, 3rd and 4th compressor stage of a Bauer K14.
Rix SA-6
Aaah, that's why you need to buy another compressor!
I hope to get quite a few years out of what I have, but so far I'd be willing to buy another in a second.

There's a part of me that says I should babysit the compressor so I can be quick to deal with any issues that come up. I can be absent minded... stepping away for a 5 min business call and that turning into something else....
Yeah me too, I always set my timer on my phone, it's the best thing,

Yeah me too, I always set my timer on my phone, it's the best thing,
I have a bluetooth headset that I wear under ear muffs (my compressor is very loud). I have an app called "Repeat Alarm" that I have set for 10 or 15 min incriments depending. It rings in my ear and I know to bleed the coalescers. I'm sure there's better ways, but it works for me to keeps me in check.

I run the stopwatch at the same time that way I know how much time I've been at it and can add that to my notes when finished (for changing filters / service, etc.).

I guess a noisy compressor is one way of not forgetting:wink:,
I guess a mechanical shutoff is a bit harder to tie a pressure SW into, but its doable,

On mine if I am in the shop or around the shop I don't forget because I easily hear the electric motor kick in and out
But in the house I forget it's on when I am filling banks, need my timer,

I ways forget how noisy my gas travel compressor really is,

What about a Rix SA-6? Pumps ~ average 5cfm, doesn't use oil.... still crap in your opinion? Honest question, you know worlds more than I'll probably ever know.
You might not have oil but you do have to rebuild it, fairly often compared to an oil lubed unit like an Oceanus. And the Rix parts $$ will make you cry. Not that its bad, just different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom