buying a bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mayastig

Contributor
Reaction score
what bc would you recommend say if i wanted to pursue a more technical level like wreck diving? bc's are kind of expensive, so ive gathered the "buy what you really need and suit your dives for years to come" approach...

mayastig:
what bc would you recommend say if i wanted to pursue a more technical level like wreck diving? bc's are kind of expensive, so ive gathered the "buy what you really need and suit your dives for years to come" approach...
if you want to go techical definitely get a backplate and wing setup... you'll need a single-tank bladder (wing) while you're on your rec phase and a doubles wing when you get certed to use doubles

the advantage is you don't have to buy the doubles (more advanced) stuff until you need it...

bp/ws also rule! i love the trim and control it gives you. if you're serious about the eventual move into tech-oriented diving then don't go for the too-expensive rigged setups, aside from mahal, some might even become a liability when doing penetration diving (entanglement hazards, etc.)

so go for the basic bp+harness+wing nalang...

anyway, since you want to go tech, get in touch with [red]twomixdiver[/red], he's a tech diver and will be able to tell you this early on what you need, what you don't and what type of mindset you should be on (courses you might want to take, stuff you might not want to do, habits you might have to give up)

[red]spoon[/red]'s also one of our harder-core divers, so he is also a good source of "i want to eventually go tech diving" information and experience

Jag

nah.... go on and try other rig set ups before purchasing....

join a PPD Dive and borrow a rig that you'd like to try.

seevral guys have been converted to the "Dark side" ...... but first you have to log in the dives ....

Hi Mayastig!

fill out a profile:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1414180

If you don't want to do a BP/W setup yet, at least get a back inflated BC. But since you want to do wrecks and you want to buy "equipment that suits your dives", I would have to side with pao and jag - get a BP/W.

I think it's ok to go straight to a BP/W setup (Spoon did that). But I'm glad I had some experience with BCD diving kc it just stressed the benefits of a BP/W vs. a BCD. And I can give an unbiased opinion about the subject! :)

Yup, get in touch with twomixdiver. He's a techdiver and he's very nice. I'm sure you'll get all the info you need. Like what Jag, Paolov and Chip said, if you plan on becoming a tech diver, get the bp/w setup.

or you can go straight ot a rebreather...... go for it, be there first before Spoon on the rebreather.... hehehhehehe

Back
Top Bottom