buying a bc part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cons of BP/W: HEAVIER than jacket, not as easy to travel with (have to assemble, disassemble), don't have pockets unless you buy a satchel (not a problem if you don't take stuff with you).

pros of backinflated BCD (ie reef rider, a couple of zeagle brands): get pretty much the same trim as BP/W, LIGHTER than BP/W.

The reason why I'm solicitating a backinflated, light-weight BCD instead of the BP/W is because you travel a lot. I'm very accustomed to travelling via public transport with my dive equipment and it's manageable but a hassle nonetheless.

But for functionality, I'd choose a BP/W over a jacket anyday. But try rent one first and see if the travel with the weight is manageable.

In all honesty, if you haven't bought a regulator first, safetywise I'd reco getting that before a BCD. If I had to choose between renting a BCD and regulator at the dive op, I'd choose the BCD and bring my own regulator.

Hope that helps jj.

chip104:
The reason why I'm solicitating a backinflated, light-weight BCD instead of the BP/W is because you travel a lot. I'm very accustomed to travelling via public transport with my dive equipment and it's manageable but a hassle nonetheless..

Not to argue :D

BUT, my BP/W with aluminium plate weighs less than half a pound more than my old Tusa Liberator BCD and packs smaller....

It also looks cooler.:14:

chip104:
cons of BP/W: HEAVIER than jacket, not as easy to travel with (have to assemble, disassemble), don't have pockets unless you buy a satchel (not a problem if you don't take stuff with you).

pros of backinflated BCD (ie reef rider, a couple of zeagle brands): get pretty much the same trim as BP/W, LIGHTER than BP/W.

The reason why I'm solicitating a backinflated, light-weight BCD instead of the BP/W is because you travel a lot. I'm very accustomed to travelling via public transport with my dive equipment and it's manageable but a hassle nonetheless.

But for functionality, I'd choose a BP/W over a jacket anyday. But try rent one first and see if the travel with the weight is manageable.

In all honesty, if you haven't bought a regulator first, safetywise I'd reco getting that before a BCD. If I had to choose between renting a BCD and regulator at the dive op, I'd choose the BCD and bring my own regulator.

Hope that helps jj.

wow youve grown up chip, a lot can happen in 6 months:)

Spoon:
wow youve grown up chip, a lot can happen in 6 months:)

i agree
laugh.gif

thepurplehammerhead:
Not to argue :D

BUT, my BP/W with aluminium plate weighs less than half a pound more than my old Tusa Liberator BCD and packs smaller....

It also looks cooler.:14:

hey purps, not gonna argue that either. the dark side is still strong with me. :hoondidi:

I just wanted to throw another option in there. Playing devil's advocate as they say. :)

Back
Top Bottom