Buying a 5 mpixel instead of 8 to save

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiverRat:
From what I've heard more MP is not always better. CCD quality has much to do with image quality as well. If I understand it correctly you could have a 5 MP camera with a great CCD or a 10 MP with a crappy CCD. I guess the best option would be the 10 MP camera with the great CCD.

I've never seen a *crappy* 10mpix sensor. :D

Keep in mind that there are a handful of sensor manufactures, and you will find Sony CCD's in camera's made by a dozen manufactures.

The manufacture process of the sensor, CCD, or CMOS, has unbelievable quality control, and a very high reject rate.

Even Canon who makes it's own CMOS sensors for DSLR's uses sensors made by manufacture *unknown* in most of the PnS models.

When someone says that camera A has a good 5mpix sensor, and camera B's 8mpix sensor is not so good, what they are most likely not understanding is that other factors have impacted the image quality. More mpix does have the negative impact of potentially more noise as the photosites become smaller.

If you want to make constructive comparisons, look at the "compared to" sections of Phil's reviews. Open two windows, and look at a 3mpix resolution chart image compared to that of an 8mpix camera. The difference is rather pronounced.

The final decision is based on what you are going to do with the image. If 8x10's is the goal, sure a 5mpix camera is likley all that is needed.

RonFrank:
The final decision is based on what you are going to do with the image. If 8x10's is the goal, sure a 5mpix camera is likley all that is needed.
============================================
Makes me feel a lot better cuz I plan to be shooting with my C5050 for quite a while now. Just for the record ...I've done some 11 x 14" prints on an Epson 1280 Photoprinter that are about as "tight" as I could ever imagine.

'Slogger

Footslogger:
============================================
Makes me feel a lot better cuz I plan to be shooting with my C5050 for quite a while now. Just for the record ...I've done some 11 x 14" prints on an Epson 1280 Photoprinter that are about as "tight" as I could ever imagine.

'Slogger

Sure. Heck most digital camera files upres rather well. It's just that you have very limited cropping options when going larger (like about none), and if you need to upres, you are going to start loosing some detail.

I have done some good 11x14's with my S70, but it just does not have the silky tones of my D1x, and does not look as good. Also the image has to be shot perfectly if you plan to go big.

Diver Dennis:
With the size and low cost of media cards today, I don't know why anyone would shoot less than the best picture their camera would take.

I purchased a 1GB card for my sony camera for around $50 bucks at Costco. I took all my pics at full res, meaning 5mp and didnt come close to fililing the card! Now, if I can just learn the secrets to taking decent pics!:D The beauty of the huge cards was that I could take a ton of pics (over 200 actually) and by virtue of dumb luck and the law of averages; I did manage to get a couple of pics worthy of public consumption.

Hi Rob, what sony do you have?

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice.
I have just purchased the Oly sp-350 at beachcamera.com for $252 -$50 mail in rebate. I got the housing PT-030 and 1GB H speed memory from digitalfotoclub.com, housing for $177 and memmory for $50.

I think it was a pretty good deal.

Now I just need to get a CR-V3 Rechargeable and the charger. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom