Bush ok's Gulf of Mexico Drilling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Back in the 70's I was the energy conservation officer for a major aerospace firm. I put together a proposal to save $750,000 worth of energy costs per year (at the then prevailing prices). When I presented my proposal to the V.P., he said it was all well and good, but as a defense contractor "we" worked on a cost plus contract. Turns out my job was only present to comply with government contract requirements, not to actually implement any real conservation.
The problems with cost plus contracts for energy has been one I’ve battled since 1975, but not had much success. While it is necessary to build energy cost adjustment factors into long term contracts, there are several ways those contracts can be structured to prevent them from being an energy wasting loophole – but it would require contract officers to understand what they’re buying and that just doesn’t seem to be happening.

There doesn't seem to be much debate that the US needs the oil from domestic sources, and there doesn't seem to be much risk with this particular project.

The downside that jumps to my mind is that old slippery slope. If it's ok to drill here, then where next? Eventually we'll get to someplace where it does matter. It's easy enough to go for the low risk spots, but that just makes the more difficult spots a little bit easier to justify.

Bill51:
it could also hurt the US and US firms who may eventually get a chance to drill on our side of the treaty line. Oil companies are very careful to control the rate they pump wells since if you attempt to pump too much too fast you can do damage to the formations leaving huge reserves inaccessible to all but the most expensive recovery processes.

you are assuming that these deposits are all linked together and accessible to both Cuba/China and the U.S.

most oil pockets, as far as i know (and i am by no means well read on this subject) are discrete in location; in other words, you need to be on top of them to drill, and they don't extend along the surface for a considerable distance.

but yes, if there are oil pockets in the border than can be accessed both from the US and the Cuban side, then the Cuban/Chinese drilling could deplete them or make further drilling unprofitable

but these pockets would be a few, if any. would you agree?

Oh, please. If this country is to wean itself from foreign oil it will be by a decreased appetite and not putting more holes in the gulf.

Mafiaman:
Bill51: That is what I would call a lucid and educated post. Also as we attempt to move toward Hydrogen power the Natural gas yield will help there also, as we all know Hydrogen can be extracted from Natural gas well as being a waist product of Nuclear energy.

Hydrogen is not a waste product of nuclear energy. Also, yes, you can get hydrogen from breaking apart natural gas. However, that process still produces lots of CO2 and takes energy (and of course no longer have natural gas which you can burn).

Hydrogen is not an energy source. Hydrogen is a way to get energy from one point to another just like a rechargable battery. It takes energy to make it, so the only way we stop using fossil fuels is to use other forms of energy (wind, solar, hydro, nuclear) to make hydrogen.

The best way to wean ourself from foreign oil is to quit drinking it and tell them to sell it to China at blackmail prices. Let's use what we have at our disposal to avoid being beholden to extemist states. We have the technology to do it in an ecologically sound manner. More drilling, more nuke power plants and we all should practice conservation.

havnmonkey:
I'm not worried about Oil spills, I know they invest the $$$ so they don't lose the $$$. It's just that we don't like to sacrifice our way of life, we just generate our own oil. There's nothing wrong with paying $3-$4 per gallon; that's what many other countries pay.

We should just use less oil. Then they wouldn't be able to raise the price... remember that Demand is what cuases the price to go up. Not anti-Americanism; remember that our own energy companies are heavily investing in these foreign oil supplies.

Yo Monkey,
The reason they pay $8 a gallon in Germany is Taxes, TAXES, it does not reflect the Cost of oil, or profits being made by oil Companies.
You want to raise taxes..........

We have the best technology and the most restrictive laws in regards to the Oil Industry. DRILL, we should be tapping our reservse in Alaska, but greenies are keeping us from doing so....
By the way, I,ve been to ANWR. I've seen the Caribou along the pipeline.
ONLY DRAWBACK....can't hunt with a rifle within the 5 mile limit.......:D

james croft:
The best way to wean ourself from foreign oil is to quit drinking it and tell them to sell it to China at blackmail prices. Let's use what we have at our disposal to avoid being beholden to extemist states. We have the technology to do it in an ecologically sound manner. More drilling, more nuke power plants and we all should practice conservation.

Right on the money, more NUKE power, Solar should be MANDITORY on all new built homes, Wind Power(I dont care if it;s in your backyard) and better conservation practices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom