Burst Discs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dell,
Which ones are which. I don't have mine double disked yet but the next time I drain them I will. Halcyon has stainless replacement disks available for theirs. What about the others. I would imagine the Diverites can be plugged otherwise there wouldn't be so many using them. We have both and none are plugged yet.

The burst discs in manifolds by Dive Rite, Halcyon, Sea Elite, Scubapro, and OMS can all be changed. I have burst discs from high pressure steel tanks in my manifolds(which are 300BAR manifolds anyways, so they came with HP burst discs). I have been told by a couple people at different shops that discs meant for LP steel tanks(marked for 2640PSI fills) will let go around 4500PSI, the discs for 3000PSI fills(such as the discs that come in valves for aluminum tanks) will let go around 5000PSI, and discs for HP steel tanks(3500PSI fills) will let go at around 5800PSI. Of course, these are probably estimates, and these are based on brand new discs.....not discs that have been subject to 200 fill cycles.

I, personally, feel that changing burst discs each year at VIP is a good idea if you use single discs.

Mike

Thanks for the welcome NetDoc.
I was participating for a brief time up until several weeks ago.
I had a change of employment status, mainly, I left Dive Rite and now work for Halcyon. I just "re-upped" to the board on Friday.
This is one of the more diverse and interesting boards, so I think I'll stick around for awhile.
To answer some questions;
The burst disk issue is purely DOT, it does not exist anywhere else. It has been common practice in cave diving to "fortify" disks for as long as I can remember. The metal in a single disk will certainly fatique eventually. While it is most likely to go when filling, (at the highest pressure and temperature), I certainly would not want one to go on me in a cave. Not only is it catastropic loss, (unless you have an isolation manifold, hence the popularity), it is incredibly scary, especially since it is right behind your head. I've had one go in a fill vat, and it cleared the entire area of about 20 people who were hanging around.

The Dive Rite, Halcyon, Sea ELite and some older Sherwood all use individual disks. These are the ones I am sure of, the rest you should check before purchasing. These valves all consist of a simple brass threaded plug, a disk, and a metal or plastic washer, either one is effective. The age old standard practice has been to just double the disk. The overall design that these particular valves all use is truly the best in so many ways. I suggest anyone who just wants to get what they really need to buy one of these makes, then you can concentrate on other things that may seem more subjective. This valve design has a proven track record that cannot be ignored.

Dell Motes

Dear Dell,

You know Ken Bonde? I dive with him...it was either you or your partner who when with Ron Caplan to the Keys last week.

Looking forward to taking Nitrox with him.

He'll be profiled on Shark Week on the Discovery Channel in August.

Regards,

Larry Stein

Hmmmmm.....
This could be interesting. Tell us, what do you think about Halcyon vs DiveRite products now? ;-)

This is a good board isn' t it lot of refugees from techdiver I bet.

Originally posted by Dell
Thanks for the welcome NetDoc.
I had a change of employment status, mainly, I left Dive Rite and now work for Halcyon.
Dell Motes

Well, I would have never worried about doing this until I was getting my tanks filled by Bill Rennaker... We got up to 2300psi in one of my Faber 104s and all of a sudden the burst disc went... :eek:

There is no sound like the one of a bursting disc less than 2 feet away. After the initial shock, we all cut the air supply to the tank and he mentioned doing a "double disc". After what I just saw, I said disc it to whatever you can to prevent that from happening...

I can't imagine that taking place in a cave at 3000ft penetration only inches from my head... it was very violent.

Let's just say I am not as worried about it happening now... on either of my tanks... (double HP discs). After seeing it first hand, I am a firm beliver in eliminating that problem.:)

Tegg once bubbled...

I can't imagine that taking place in a cave at 3000ft penetration only inches from my head... it was very violent.

hmm I wounder what the "chances" are that this happens in a cave with the water cooling the bottle and thus shrinking the pressure on the tank itself and thereby the burst disc.

Does anyone have any information on the subject of this happening during a dive and not on fill or when left the bottle in the sun?

But what do I know, basically we dont use them where I dive wich means very limited experience with them.
but I find it interesting.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom