Buried treasure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A used copy of the previous out-of-print edition just sold for $350usd. That is why I reissued it!

$189.00... really? (LOL) I guess if you've got a 'niche' market where people will pay that much for a copy, more power to you.

-AZTinman

Will your reissuing it make it available at a reasonable price?

Reasonable is a very relative term. I would guess the people who paid $350 for a used copy of the second edition will think the price of the reissued, printed-on-demand book is reasonable.

This book was not written to make money. The purpose of the book was to preserve the record of the excavation.

The full color photographs throughout the book was one factor for its cost, the cost of the studio photography of the hundreds of artifacts another, the cost of the artist's renderings another, the low volume print run of the second edition was another, and the fact we gifted the entire run of the first edition to universities, libraries, and research institutes was another.

If someone wants to read it, they can go to a library that has it and read it for free. If someone wants to own a copy, they need to pay the price that is subsidizing the cost of those library copies and the books' production costs.

Now, why doesn't saying this work with my wife when I'm making a pitch to spend money on more diving and camera gear? (LOL)
-AZTinman

Obviously, your wife is "unreasonable"!!!

Actually, all kidding aside, she's a pretty good sport when there's gear I really need and engaged in projects. This has been especially true as we've entered the world of getting a book published. Our's is currently with our publishing editor and we're awaiting proofs.

-AZTinman

Why didn't Mr. Millionaire foot the cost of the printed books himself? I mean, if he can just toss away $2 million into the woods without remorse, you'd think he could pay the publisher, too, without the need for the 2nd edition to pay for the 1st.

Back
Top Bottom