Buried treasure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Graduado

Contributor
Reaction score
I wrote a book about nine years ago and then I let it go out of print, due to my changing interest. In other words, something else bright and shiny caught my eye! It was a book about Forrest Fenn (a good friend of mine) and our excavation of an ancient Tano Indian pueblo named San Lazaro on Forrest's land in the Galisteo basin near Santa Fe, New Mexico. Forrest is the multimillionaire art collector who buried two-million-dollars’ worth of gold and gems, then wrote a book containing a poem about where to find it: The Thrill of the Chase.

When Forrest decided to bury his treasure, he asked me to find him an antique “book of hours” box (a type of fancy, 16th-century, wrought-iron box) so he could use it to hold his treasure. I was unable to locate such a box in time, so he used a replica box instead. I remember him handing me a gold nugget he was going to include in the treasure; it was as big as a turkey’s egg!

I hadn’t thought much about my out-of-print book until Forrest recently told me that second-hand copies of it were selling for $350. That’s 350 dollars, not pesos!

I know it’s not Cozumel related (although in a weird instance of “six-degree-of-separation”, Forrest’s brother died while diving in Cozumel in 1976), but if anyone is interested, I reissued the book on Amazon.com; The Lost Kivas of San Lazaro.

Here is another connection the book has to Cozumel: During the excavation of San Lazaro, a couple of pairs of “lightning stones” were discovered, cached in one of the kivas (underground, ceremonial chambers). Lightning stones are small, smooth, milky-white, quartzite pebbles which, when rubbed together, produce a strong scent of ozone together with flashes of light that emanate from within the stones. This light is not produced by incandescent sparks, as when flint is struck by steel, but rather by a process known as triboluminescence. This type of luminescence is caused by the mechanoluminescent properties of quartzite, which can be activated by mechanical force in the forms of pressure or friction. David S. Whitley, in his 1999 article in the Cambridge Archaeological Journal describes triboluminescence as: “A photon flash caused by electrons in the quartz atoms that have been ejected by gamma radiation penetrating crystal lattice defects. A small mechanical shock allows these electrons to overcome their energy barrier and to cascade down to ground state, giving off a glow as they return to their atomic orbit.”

The Pueblo Indians of New Mexico regarded these stones as magical and used them in ceremonies related to weather. Other tribes in California and Arizona used them in a similar fashion. Archeologists reported finding lightning stone pairs in many excavations made in the American Southwest and a pair of lightning stones discovered inside a kiva sometime during the 1930s is on exhibit in the Florence Hawley Ellis Museum at Ghost Ranch near Abiquiu, NM.

Lightning stones can be distinguished from “polishing stones,” “burnishing stones,” or “pebble smoothers” by their color (lightning stones must be white or translucent in order to see the faint glow), lack of exaggerated faceting, and the fact that they were often cached in pairs. In all of the New Mexican pairs I have examined, the stones that made up the pairs were each, more-or less, of similar size, shape and color. It is my belief that many times archaeologists do not recognize the difference between lightning stones and polishing stones, and often mistake the former for the latter. For example, in Early Desert Farming and Irrigation Settlements: Archaeological Investigations in the Phoenix Sky Harbor Center, by D. H. Greenwald, et al., the authors state: “Field personnel recovered two caliche-encrusted quartzite polishing stones from a bird effigy vessel at the base of a bell-shaped storage pit, Sub-feature 8/8-40-2, in a surface adobe-walled structure.” Could these have been paired quartzite lightning stones cached inside the bird effigy vessel, instead of the more common polishing stones used to burnish?

While making a surface collection after a rain at Sitio Venado, (a portion of the pre-Columbian Maya village of Xamancab, on the west coast of Cozumel) I found two small lightning stones lying only inches from one another that had been eroded out of a small embankment in front of the foundation of a post-classic Maya structure. Since the island of Cozumel is made up of solidified marine calcareous sediments (limestone) and has no naturally occurring quartzite, these two quartzite pebbles stood out as being obviously imported to the island. So far, no other quartzite pebbles have turned up at Sitio Venado and the only other imported lithic artifacts I found there to date are made of obsidian or chert. The square meter designated Y-25 on the embankment at Sitio Venado where the two lightning stones were found yielded many other notable pieces during earlier post-rain visits: Over 100 olivera shells, 7 obsidian blades, and several olivera “tinklers” have been logged in so far.

When I began to search the records for other mentions of lightning stones turning up in archaeological contexts in Yucatan, Quintana Roo, or anywhere else in Mexico for that matter, I was left empty handed. There are many references to “polishing stones,” “burnishing stones,” or “pebble smoothers” in the literature regarding Mexican archaeological sites, but no “lightning stones.” Could this be an example of lightning stone pairs simply being misidentified and overlooked? Surely, I didn’t find the only two examples in all of Mexico! I did find one report, Classic Maya lithic artifacts from the Main Plaza of Aguateca, Guatemala by Kazuo Aoyama that seems to hint that other examples have been found, but not correctly identified. Aoyama wrote: “Although we do not know the functions of the pebble smoothers, they may have been used as stucco smoothers. While some pebble smoothers show flat worn facets, other smoothers evidence either no use-wear or have been worn smooth over their entire surface.”

Anyway, if you are interested, my once out-of-print book, The Lost Kivas of San Lazaro, is now available on Amazon.com.

Did you excavate the ruins before he hid the treasure?
Is the gold still undiscovered?
Was there actual gold buried or is the "thrill of the hunt" the "real" treasure?

The treasure is very real and is still out there, waiting to be found and claimed.

I'm less interested in the treasure.

Interesting theory regarding "lightning stones." As you say, it's unlikely that you found the only pair in Mexico. Any thoughts as to where they may have been "imported" from?

Growing up in the southwest I'm sure I've come across these, but truthfully this is the first time I've heard of them in this context. Do you have any further reading? A quick google only produces a link to "Rock Art Blog" that has the same info you've already posted. Maybe the next time I'm home I'll take a drive out to New Mexico to do some looking myself.

Interesting theory regarding "lightning stones." As you say, it's unlikely that you found the only pair in Mexico. Any thoughts as to where they may have been "imported" from?

Growing up in the southwest I'm sure I've come across these, but truthfully this is the first time I've heard of them in this context. Do you have any further reading? A quick google only produces a link to "Rock Art Blog" that has the same info you've already posted. Maybe the next time I'm home I'll take a drive out to New Mexico to do some looking myself.

I didn't mean that I thought I found the only ones in Mexico; what I meant was I seem to be the only one to recognize them as such and publish my findings. I used the word "imported" to point out that they were not native to Cozumel. They could have been brought over from Chiapas, Belize, Guatemala, or many other places in Mexico where quartzite occurs naturally.

"Lightning stones" are simply small, smooth, quartzite pebbles that have been used by humans in a ritual that involves rubbing or tapping them together. It is their use in an ethnological context that makes them lightning stones and not just ordinary, quartzite pebbles. One can find quartzite pebbles anywhere quartzite occurs naturally, but to know that they were used as lightning stones one would need to find them (preferably in pairs), with uniform wear (not faceted wear), in an archaeological or ethnological context.

There are several other ways that people use the term "lightning stones" that have noting to do with quartzite pebbles. Sometimes septarian nodules, Fulgurites, or ancient stone celts are called "lightning stones".

You could buy my one of my books, The True History of Cozumel, or The Lost Kivas of San Lazaro for further reading on these stones.

A paragraph in The Davis Ranch Site: A Kayenta Immigrant Enclave in Southeastern Arizona,
by Rex E. Gerald,
says: "A quartzite pebble (D/151), 3.3 cm long and 2.8 cm wide, and 2.3 cm thick was recovered from one of the loom-anchor holes (G-4) in the floor of the kiva (figure 5.28j). It context suggests it had a ceremonial use. Jeancon (1923:68, Plate 59b) and Kidder (1932:93-94) have described similar though formally shaped objects in use among the historic Pueblo peoples of the Rio Grande Valley. Jeancon (1923:68) refers to them as "Firestones" and reports their use by the people of Santa Clara and San Idelfonso: "At one time during the rain ceremonies the drum is beaten to represent the thunder and the white quartz pieces are rubbed together. This rubbing produces an incandescent glow which resembles lightning". Objects identified as lightning stones or "possible lightning stones" have been recovered from kivas and other pit structures at Acoma (Dittert 1959:158) and in the Ackmen-Lowery area (Martin 1939:404-405, Figure 112).

I'm certainly not going to spend a second of my time screwing around trying to figure out some eccentric millionaire's cryptic poem looking for some treasure he supposedly hid. Who knows if he even hid a treasure? Heck, the #1 question anyone willing to waste time in their lives looking for this thing is, "Is the treasure still there?". Only Mr. Eccentric nutcase can answer that question if he has gone back to check on it. If I were hiking in the woods or canyons and found an antique chest with $2 Million of gold in it I wouldn't tell a soul... I just take it, dump it in a safety deposit box and start selling it off as needed. I doubt anyone who would find such a thing would announce publicly that they did. Perhaps one was on the hunt, found it, and informed Mr. Eccentric nutcase that they found his treasure and Mr. Nutcase responded something to the effect, "It's up to you... Tell all you found it or keep your find a secret and let others keep enjoying 'The Trill of The Chase' until the end of time which is what the book is all about". Assuming he had $2 Million of gold and did bury it somewhere, he should have done something more with that $ and done more good than letting it sit perhaps never to be found or enriching some fool who is willing to look for it in the first place.

I remember him handing me a gold nugget he was going to include in the treasure; it was as big as a turkey’s egg!
Wow! Well, turkey eggs seem to be only slightly larger than chicken eggs, but still.

I'm certainly not going to spend a second of my time screwing around trying to figure out some eccentric millionaire's cryptic poem looking for some treasure he supposedly hid. Who knows if he even hid a treasure? Heck, the #1 question anyone willing to waste time in their lives looking for this thing is, "Is the treasure still there?". Only Mr. Eccentric nutcase can answer that question if he has gone back to check on it. If I were hiking in the woods or canyons and found an antique chest with $2 Million of gold in it I wouldn't tell a soul... I just take it, dump it in a safety deposit box and start selling it off as needed. I doubt anyone who would find such a thing would announce publicly that they did. Perhaps one was on the hunt, found it, and informed Mr. Eccentric nutcase that they found his treasure and Mr. Nutcase responded something to the effect, "It's up to you... Tell all you found it or keep your find a secret and let others keep enjoying 'The Trill of The Chase' until the end of time which is what the book is all about". Assuming he had $2 Million of gold and did bury it somewhere, he should have done something more with that $ and done more good than letting it sit perhaps never to be found or enriching some fool who is willing to look for it in the first place.

Wow! That was a pretty serious rant for someone who is not interested.

I've known Forrest for over twenty years. He is certainly not a nutcase. Eccentric? Maybe sometimes. Can he afford to give away 2 million dollars worth of gold and jewels? Most definitely. Drop in the bucket. Some multi-millionaires throw lavish million-dollar parties and when its over, its over. Forrest has been getting his vicarious kicks from this "treasure hunt" for almost ten years now. I am sure your lifestyle and level of spending might seem obscene to an impoverished Haitian. It is all relative.

Forrest also has spent large sums of his own money on a non-profit supporting kids at risk, as well as other charities. He made his own money and I'd say he can spend it or give it away any way he pleases.

Did he really hide the treasure? Yes. he did. Many of his friends urged him not to do it (he had been talking to us about doing it for a while) because we thought it might put his family in danger from crazies. But, he did it anyway. I know the man very well and I believe him completely when he says he hid the gold and jewels.

Back
Top Bottom