Burial at Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We got into a discussion about being cremated instead of being buried. Then the conversation turned to burial at sea. An arguement started that this is not legal unless you are cremated first. It appears that you still can be buried at sea.
http://www.funeralplan.com/funeralplan/cremation/sea.html

You can also have your ashes become part of a reef. Look that one up. That would be cool.

If you read Robert Ballard's book "Explorations", burial at sea without cremation loses much of it's charm.

I've cast cremains into a reefball and deployed the ball. It is a very good way to commemorate someone.

You have to be buried in 600' of water? My friends would have to all be tech divers to visit my remains.

I had an idea that my coffin could be placed in a concrete crypt and it laid near a reef so it becomes part of an artifical reef, maybe with a nice little staue of a dolphin on it. That way I could become a dive site.

Right into a 55 gal plastic openhead drum. Insert a rope in the mess and freeze it, then use me for a chumsickle near a bait ball.

I'd be readily and rapidly distrubuted throughout the food chain in particle sizes meeting the "disposition of trash at sea" rules of the USCG.

Alternately just leave me on the reef, but recover the right thumb so Jeanne can collect the insurance $, and any gear of course.

Fish don't like their food toasted!:yuck:

About 30 years ago a relative by marraige died in the Bahamas by being sucked into a bluehole while snorkeling. $25,000 later he got tossed back into the water off Ft Lauderdale. That would be close to #100K in todays $s. Better to leave me in the water if I die there than recover the trash and have to go through the undertakers union to toss me back overboard later.

FT

Wendy once bubbled...
I had an idea that my coffin could be placed in a concrete crypt and it laid near a reef so it becomes part of an artifical reef, maybe with a nice little staue of a dolphin on it. That way I could become a dive site.

I like your idea....very nice idea. I'm a diver and a sailor so I find it especially attractive. However I think I still want to be cremated, I think it's my traditional Japanese part feeling that.

My wife and I have the understanding that my ashes are to be mixed into a reef ball... I'm trying to talk her into being a ball next to me, but so far its not happened... Maybe she'll read this post and it'll make sense about being a pair of "Gulf Balls" :wink:

CBulla,

Have you considered getting the cremains of both of you put into one reefball?

The thought is there, but my lady has this slight adversion to it. Her theory is that by doing so her body will be underwater without freedom and thus drowning and would prefer to be dust in the wind. My theory is I'm carbon anyway, mix me with readimix and make me a reef! She doesnt want to be a diamond either (it was a joke and she took it serious)... I can see her point though.

I have wondered though.. in making myself into a reefball, where would my visitors sign? A book would get quite wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom