Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting how often buoyancy and trim are used in the same sentence. They are two different things.

One is having the right amount, second is having the right amount in the right places (reducing the effort to be horizontal while moving through the water with minimal drag). Not surprising really.

It's interesting how often buoyancy and trim are used in the same sentence. They are two different things.
One affects the other and together will give you complete control of your dive. I'm certain you don't understand the relationship, but I'm not sure you want to understand. It seems that you're focused on justifying how you dive, instead. That's fine, but I'm not going to discard my understanding of thrust and physics to dive your way. I've been diving for over 50 years and teaching almost 20 and am fairly well known for teaching this from OW on up. My OW divers come out of the class looking like they've been diving for years because they are in control. My reasons are laid out earlier in this thread, and I'm not going to continue to chase my tail explaining it.

If you are neutrally buoyant your orientation is not a factor. Any minor shifts in your center of mass due to trim can be easily compensated for by breath control.
My problem with this horizontal trim thing is the notion that if you are not maintaining horizontal trim at all times you are doing something wrong. I feel if you are not having fun you are doing something wrong. For me, having fun is exploiting all the possibilities of the underwater weightless environment. As I said before, horizontal trim is a tool that is useful in many situations. But it is not a goal unto itself.
Anyways, I'll let you get on with your teaching.

My problem with this horizontal trim thing is the notion that if you are not maintaining horizontal trim at all times you are doing something wrong..

No one, and I mean, no one says that. The point is to be able to be comfortably horizontal for when finning through the water.

No one, and I mean, no one says that.
It's OK. Let's let it go. Many people invent crap to harangue about that just isn't there. In one post he quoted me saying that I go vertical during my safety stop, in the next he accused me of being horizontal during my safety stop. Some people want to remain ignorant about technique and that's their right. You can have fun banging on the piano or learn to play it so that others can enjoy. Which is right? It's up to the end user. People reading this interchange can easily discern what's reasonable to them. That's OK.

It's OK. Let's let it go. Many people invent crap to harangue about that just isn't there. In one post he quoted me saying that I go vertical during my safety stop, in the next he accused me of being horizontal during my safety stop. Some people want to remain ignorant about technique and that's their right. You can have fun banging on the piano or learn to play it so that others can enjoy. Which is right? It's up to the end user. People reading this interchange can easily discern what's reasonable to them. That's OK.
ok :surrender::wink:

I hardly ever use my fins for vertical movement. Sometimes fins are useful to maintain position when I'm upside down. Of course to get from point A to point B I use the fins.
If you're vertical, the first thing you have to do to get from point A to point B is to become not vertical.

On a hot drop, where it's essential to reach the bottom quickly, I am head down and kicking. I never understood people who descend feet first.

Let's get the thread back to some semblance of productive. :wink:

Can you give any recommendations on the idea of a hot drop for someone who has a tough time equalizing? My wife is still working on rapid equalization and has to decend slower than I do in order to do so comfortably. When we dove West Palm Beach last summer we had a dive where we lost the group on the decent as the current took us away before we could get to the bottom.

She's going to try EarShield next week with hopes that helps based on advice from one of the guides in the above mentioned trip, but any other advice would be great!

Can you give any recommendations on the idea of a hot drop for someone who has a tough time equalizing?
It's not in their best interest to try, if it's a true "hot drop". If the current is benign, it can be done. Better to ask for a down line, where she can take her time.

Many people tuck their chin into their neck when they equalize. That effectively pinches the Eustachian Tubes. Rather look way up and and twist your neck gently side to side. Do it first on the surface and then before you feel any pressure. Once you feel the pressure, it's a possibility that it's closing the tubes as well. The great thing about NOT dropping like a rock is that you can baby your ears. Slow descents and slow ascents are easier on your body. If you can drop like a rock, you're probably over weighted. Everyone is different, so figure out what's best for you and your wife. Good luck!

She's going to try EarShield next week with hopes that helps based on advice from one of the guides in the above mentioned trip, but any other advice would be great!
Let us know how that turns out.

In the same way propulsion and drag are two different things. And yet...

Back
Top Bottom