Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeffr13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I need help!!!!!! I haven't found any help thats helped me so far.I'm a new diver with only 7 dives. I have a concern with my travel BCD with regulars package(Aqua Lung Zuma). I'm age 49, 218lbs 6'0 past sports player. I had trouble with buoyancy in my pool dives and switched to the rental jacket with rental regulars and had no issues and was able to complete all the open water certifications. After speaking to others and see online communications about travel/ or back inflated BCD, I figured it was good to keep and to learn to use it. So, I made 3-4 pool times to get better at the using the BCD. I thought it was okay in the pool. I had gotten my weights done from 12 lbs to 6lbs. I even was okay with 4 but when the tank got light it was hard to stay down. When I did my Certification at Mermet Springs in Oct., I used 22 lbs with a 7mm wetsuite.
I recently went to Bonne terre mines for 3 planned dives. I had problems with buoyancy. I did the dives okay but looking back it, I couldn't enjoy because of not have good buoyancy control. I talk to all the diver around the dives and they thought I was doing okay. I was concerned about being the first up every dive by 10-15 minutes, that by the 3rd dive I ask the instructor and she said dive with me at the front. I only focused on her and stayed calm and worked on the slow breathing. I only had I time of no so good control of buoyancy. I still ended time because of low on air way to early.
My concern is my weights. It seems I can't stay in the trim line position without work. The travel BCD doesn't allow me to put the same amount of weight in the back to tank pockets as the to quick release pockets in the front. Now, I know its different but in the pool. The best trim I got was 2lb in fronts and 1lbs in back. At the Mine, I put 8lbs in front and 3lbs in back for first dive. The last 2 dives I changed it to 6lb in from and 4 in back. It was better but not good enough. I don't want to but should I use a weight belt. I don't know if I'm bottom heavy. I did alot of sports weight lifting. If I get in the trim position and move to the 3/4 my buoyancy is very difficult.
Please if anyone has any help, it would be very appreciated.
Thank you,
JeffR

Hey Jeff,

You will find that most (but not all) people on SB favor BP/W. While there are a lot of good jacket style BCDs, there are a lot of junk ones. Distribution of weight is key.

Remember, the correct amount of weight is whatever keeps you level at your shallowest safety stop with an empty BCD/wing (and dry suit if wearing one) [Edit] and a nearly empty cylinder (500 psi / 35 bar). Weights are distributed so that you are effortlessly trim. Fins can play a big part in trim as well.

Not sure if this will be useful to you, but this is what I do for my OW students: How I weight students in open water courses | Facebook

I like your FB posting. I do sometimes feel weight correctly but the trim is a issue. How do you deal with the different BCD and weights from front to back. And do you think I should try a weight belt?

I like your FB posting. I do sometimes feel weight correctly but the trim is a issue. How do you deal with the different BCD and weights from front to back. And do you think I should try a weight belt?
I've found that comfort in the pool but not yet in open water at 30-50ft.

1. Don't overdo minimizing your weight. Either dial it in at the END of the dive when your tank is lightest, or dual it in at the start and add 5 pounds.
  2. The Zuma allows you to add trim weights to the cylinder band, but they are still in line with the front weights rather than moved higher, away from your center of gravity. Trim will be better/easier if you can add weight higher in the tank. Simplest quick fix is a 1 or 2 pound ankle weight around the tank valve. Yeah, less than ideal - but quick and effective, especially for the Zuma.

1. Don't overdo minimizing your weight. Either dial it in at the END of the dive when your tank is lightest, or dual it in at the start and add 5 pounds.
  2. The Zuma allows you to add trim weights to the cylinder band, but they are still in line with the front weights rather than moved higher, away from your center of gravity. Trim will be better/easier if you can add weight higher in the tank. Simplest quick fix is a 1 or 2 pound ankle weight around the tank valve. Yeah, less than ideal - but quick and effective, especially for the Zuma.
That really makes since. I have to work hard to get my upper body down. I can do it by lower my head and bringing my hands/arms down under me but its not good to stay that way. I want to be straight and be able to look around with less work.

It's great that you're coming here for advice on how to improve; you'll find lots of helpful information from incredibly knowledgeable folks. But don't stress out too much. Most people still suck at buoyancy control when they're only 7 dives in. It takes practice. If other people thought you looked good and you're just concerned because it still takes effort, you're at the very least on the right track and probably ahead of the curve. Good luck!

ETA: I took a class at one point a few months in where my instructor took video of me to review my buoyancy and trim. I was actually pleasantly surprised; I looked a lot better than I felt! You might find it helpful to have a buddy do the same for you.

@Jeffr13

What fins are you using? You sound head heavy. Switching from say Hollis F1s to Deep 6 Eddy fins are going to have a dramatic impact.

Would you mind posting a pic of your scuba kit assembed?

We can't comment on your trim without a pic, so in water pic please.

Remember, Al and steel tanks trim oppositely. On steel tanks you're moving weight. On AL tanks you're moving the bubble in the butt of the tank, so you're actually moving buoyancy, not weight.

If you're butt heavy and have your AL tank down really low, then the comment on adding a two pound ankle weight to the tank valve might work. You can also add weight pockets to your shoulder straps to do the same thing.

@Jeffr13

What fins are you using? You sound head heavy. Switching from say Hollis F1s to Deep 6 Eddy fins are going to have a dramatic impact.

Would you mind posting a pic of your scuba kit assembed?
? When you say head heavy? That sounds like it would be easier to keep my upper body down in the front?
I have Agua Lung Zuma with the travel regular set up(Mikron) with Aqua Lung Phazer fins.
zuma_midnight-black_front_70x.jpg
mikron_2nd-stage_front_70x.jpg
phazer_black-yellow_front_70x.jpg

Back
Top Bottom