buoyancy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, thanks to everyone and their input. Im gunna do another pool dive and see if I can work with what I have first before I go out and buy more gear. The trim isnt THAT bad. I think a matter of shifting the tank higher up on my back well help out a lot more than I think. I was just excited when I got the Ranger that I just threw the tank in the bands and jumped in the pool.

After I made sure everything was good, I started to check my trim and noticed that my legs are heavy. Ill go ahead and move the rear pouches to the upper cam band and move the tank up a bit more. If that doesnt help, then ill find a Farmer John wetsuit and give that a try.

Im sticking with the ranger. Im wont be replacing it or getting rid of it. It was a big investment for me, and I plan on having it for a while. Its great in the water, a lot better than all the other BCs ive tried. It fits perfect and I cant really find anything wrong with it.

Ill report back after my next pool dive. (probably tomorrow)

Aluminum 80s as the OP uses do not generally contribute to to sinking legs. Casual observation of an aluminum tank in a pool, full, half and empty will verify my statement. Moving the tank around is not going to help him much because the AFT end of an aluminum tank tends to be the most bouyant, often positive bouyant especially to the rear as the tank is empties thus causing the feet/legs to rise--not sink. A steel tank as made now will only cause your feet to drop more (than an aluminum 80 typically). Modern wing/bp systems as are provided by several popular brands are often tapered or otherwise designed to shift center of bouyancy rearward. Jacket and rear inflate type BCs are problematic for many males (or others) like the OP who has dense leg muscles and no fat (cyclist). An easy solution does not exist. Using a stainless BP and trim weights forward will help combined with a wing like the Oxy Mach V or other similar wings will be helpful. Moving the tank around without regard to these variables and without taking into account the bouyancy and center of bouyancy for a given tank is misguided. The system, diver, tank, BC, plate, weights must be taken as a unit and there is no one solution for every diver.

N

I am very suprised noone has told you to try THICKER booties.

I went from a 3mil boot to a 5 mil and it made a world of difference for me. I went from standing to laying flat.
Another trick is wraping an ankle weight around your valve.

Back
Top Bottom