Buoyancy Differences between Shorty VS Full Length wesuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rat314

Registered
Reaction score
Springfield, Missouri 30 Miles North of Branson Mo
I am still a relatively new diver having only a few dives outside of my Open Water qualification dives under my belt.
I dove a 5mm shorty wetsuit, using a Steel 72 and found Six Pounds of weights to be sufficent in Fresh Water.
I recently bought a new Deep See 5-4-3 full length wetsuit, and a Catalina aluminum 80 tank. I have added Three pounds more weight, which should be enough to compensate for the extra buoyancy difference with the tank and am curious if this will be enough to also compensate for the extra buoyancy of the wetsuit as well?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Even if you had replaced the shorty with an identical new wetsuit, you'd need a couple extra pounds for the first few dives until the wetsuit compresses a bit.

Add in another 2 or 3 of pounds for the extra 4mil and 3mil sections of the wetsuit.

I'd start with 5 pounds for the suit for the first dive and then take a pound off each dive until it's right.

Just remember that when you are overweighted that the air bubble in your BCD will be bigger than normal, and you will need to add and release air as you increase or decrease depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom