Buoyancy Compensation Preference

What type of PRIMARY buoyancy compensatro are you currently diving?

• Jacket Style

Votes: 51 22.2%
  • Back Inflation Style

Votes: 73 31.7%
  • Hybrid Jacke/Back Inflation Style

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Back Plate and Wing Rig

Votes: 91 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my hypothesis:
WE hear that more people on the boats use vest type bcds. Most of these people are rec type vacation divers. The average rec type vacation diver has no interest in improving their skills or knowledge, but rather just enjoy looking at the fishes.

Here on Scuba Board (for the most part) People are trying to learn, improve their skills, become a better diver, and perhaps advance into some form of tec diving, or already do it now.

therefore, these jacket wearing rec types aren't here on the board. :)

Flawless logic huh? :p

Preacher Man,
I daresay I have to agree with your hypothesis.

Actually, there are lots and lots of jacket wearing rec types on the board.

Most are lurkers.

My theory is that on those occasions when the recreational diver tries to formulate an opinion, they are often beset upon by the vocal types in such a way that they decide to retreat into the background and not express themselves.

An unfortunate fact of life on almost any Internet discussion board that, like this one, is dedicated to a recreational activity ... it will be dominated by a vocal minority, many of whom don't put much effort into expressing themselves in a manner that shows basic courtesy.

It's also a detriment to our overall community. FWIW - I find that when I teach a class, I almost always learn something from the students ... even if it's just a different way to look at something I thought I already knew.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
My theory is that on those occasions when the recreational diver tries to formulate an opinion, they are often beset upon by the vocal types in such a way that they decide to retreat into the background and not express themselves.

So, would I be right in drawing from that hypothesis that you believe that jacket-wearers are generally meek and unwilling to express their preference and support one another's arguements, while others tend to be vocal about their preference and form a cohesive front?

If so, what do you see as being at the root of that? Could it be that there's no zealot like a convert, and that those who've made the switch and like it are enthusiastic about the improvements they see, while those who continue to use the same gear they were shown in their certification class either don't know what they're missing or, having tried it and not liked it, are in a very small minority?

Not neccesarily meek... but possibly beaten into submission. :D

Actually, this board is probably the least offensive in that respect. We don't allow direct flaming and such, but there is always that not so subliminal bashing that is impossible to control.

Just an observation. It seems to me the people who wear the jacket type of BC on a long term tend to be the majoriy of the people in the dive industry. The folks are the average recreational diver who does mostly vacation type diving. This is great for the divers and great for the industry.

It also appears the folks that have switched to a BP/W type of system tend to be the divers that dive frequently in all kinds of conditions.

I do not believe the folks that use the jacket styles are meek in any sense of the word, they are just satisfied with what they have and don't feel a need to push it. While those who have converted to the BP/W tend to be a more agressive type of personality, therefore, a more agressive type of diver who moves into wreck, cave, etc types of diving.

Neither is right and neither is wrong. Everyone has the equipment they like and does the kind of diving they like.

MSilvia:
So, would I be right in drawing from that hypothesis that you believe that jacket-wearers are generally meek and unwilling to express their preference and support one another's arguements, while others tend to be vocal about their preference and form a cohesive front?

Not meek so much as often less experienced, and therefore uncertain about voicing an opinion. When they voice an opinion and get responses that would perhaps be inappropriate if delivered in person, they have a tendency to just back off of the conversation.

And then there are many ... the majority perhaps ... who are unwilling to support arguments simply because they don't think something like that is worth arguing about.

If so, what do you see as being at the root of that? Could it be that there's no zealot like a convert, and that those who've made the switch and like it are enthusiastic about the improvements they see, while those who continue to use the same gear they were shown in their certification class either don't know what they're missing or, having tried it and not liked it, are in a very small minority?

Well, the term "zeal" would certainly apply ... or perhaps just an anxiousness to relate knowledge you've picked up through experience. Often it's less about what you say than how you say it ... and all too often the latter can, and will, put people off to the point where they won't pursue the conversation.

FWIW - I prefer BP/wing to jacket-style ... and would happily explain to anyone why. I would try to do it in a way that would encourage further conversation and questions, rather than berating someone for using a piece of gear that I rejected along the course of my own learning curve. Better yet ... I have multiple sets, so as to give my dive buddies a chance to try one out and decide for themselves if they like it.

On the other hand, I couldn't be bothered with the endless arguments about 1-piece harness vs. 3-piece, or the merits/drawbacks of QR buckles, bent D-rings, light placement, and the like. That all falls in the category of personal preference. Play around with it and figure out what works for you (this is the "attitude" that will prevent me from becoming DIR regardless of how many classes I take).

As for what people prefer to use ... that generally boils down to what they've become comfortable with and what they can afford to purchase. The vast majority of jacket-style users are comfortable with them. Some can even use them very effectively. One of my favorite dive buddies uses the same Seaquest jacket-style BCD he's been diving with for more than a decade. He's got the chops to dive with many of my DIR-trained buddies, and nobody ever rags on his gear, because he's got the skills to make them comfortable diving with him.

On the other hand, I couldn't see that guy coming here to respond to this poll ... it's just not something that's important to him.

So to relate this to the thread ... these polls are really only as good as the people who are willing to respond to them. Often, for many reasons, that's a skewed sampling of our actual readership ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, there are lots and lots of jacket wearing rec types on the board.

Most are lurkers.

An unfortunate fact of life on almost any Internet discussion board that, like this one, is dedicated to a recreational activity ... it will be dominated by a vocal minority, many of whom don't put much effort into expressing themselves in a manner that shows basic courtesy...

Bob, very well said.

As one of the few that "goes both ways", I don't have an emotional attachment either way.

FWIW, in the real (not cyber) world, when I'm out diving with the general population, it's a surprising day when you even see a BP/W; when overhead-restricted, everyone else is doing the same thing, and there's not a jacket in sight.

The quantity of divers using a particular piece of equipment really has no bearing on whether it's right for what you are doing.

All the best, James

It's interesting to watch the observations made by others on a dive boat to my gear.

It's as if they're saying, "Poor fellow, he can't afford good gear. Maybe one of these days he'll be able to afford a good BC."

It's amusing.

The Kracken:
It's interesting to watch the observations made by others on a dive boat to my gear.

It's as if they're saying, "Poor fellow, he can't afford good gear. Maybe one of these days he'll be able to afford a good BC."

It's amusing.

I guess it depends on where you dive.

Here in the PNW, backplates are as common as coffee shops ... you see them everywhere.

On the other hand, when I was in Bonaire, my SEU and I were the only ones wearing them ... most of the people were in jacket-style BCDs. I was also the only person using a long hose. Many people we dived with didn't even know backplates existed till they asked me what it was and I told them.

The most common question I got was "isn't that uncomfortable?"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom