Buoyancy by DAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twiddles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Please read this and article it might do alot more than just help you with your buoyancy...http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=28

Additionally please PM NWGratefulDiver for a copy of Understanding Gas Management and go here http://www.scriptkiddie.org/diving/rockbottom.html to read Lamont Granquists Rock Bottom and Gas Management bear with the math, the information that follows is NEEDED.

Maybee an ADMIN could sticky the Understanding Gas Management or Rock Bottom and Gas Management information since it is referenced in at least half a dozen threads on this board?

Twiddles:
Additionally please PM NWGratefulDiver for a copy of Rock Bottom and Gas Management, bear with the math, the information that follows is NEEDED.
Or check out Lamont’s rock bottom at:
http://www.scriptkiddie.org/diving/rockbottom.html
Perhaps they are similar, or even the same?

From the DAN article:
"In addition to wetsuit compression, the gas spaces within a diver's body compress at depth, further reducing your buoyancy."

Hmm. The diver must have had a lot of burritos for lunch.

Lamont's essay and Bob's handout cover a lot of the same information, but they are not the same. Bob's handout fleshes stuff out a bit more; Lamont's has more math and quick reference tables.

This is what we were taught many years ago...Do they not teach this anymore???......"One method you can use to achieve neutral buoyancy at the surface is to weight yourself so you are suspended vertically in the water with the top of your head just touching the surface with a fully deflated BCD while holding a normal breath. Inhaling deeply should cause you to rise while exhaling should cause you to sink."

Nudgeroni:
From the DAN article:
"In addition to wetsuit compression, the gas spaces within a diver's body compress at depth, further reducing your buoyancy."

Hmm. The diver must have had a lot of burritos for lunch.

As far as the burritos thing, there IS a way to compensate for that problem--but your buddy may ask you to pull up the rear.....:wink: ..........GEAUX TIGERS...........

I stand corrected and have edited accordingly knotical. I was indeed refering to Lamont Granquists information. I got the link from an earlier TsandM post in another thread and I mistakenly assumed that it was provided by the person TsandM said to PM for the information. I have also read NWGratefulDivers information as well and would add as TsandM has that they are not the same, it appears to a novice that NWGratefulDivers information is slightly more conservative and more instructionally descriptive. I actually understood Lamonts much better after having read NWGratefulDivers :D .

Twiddles:
I have also read NWGratefulDivers information as well and would add as TsandM has that they are not the same, it appears to a novice that NWGratefulDivers information is slightly more conservative and more instructionally descriptive. I actually understood Lamonts much better after having read NWGratefulDivers :D .

Doesn't surprise me at all. Bob is a much better instructor/teacher. I'm more at home writing up things that sound like scientific journal articles in primary sources... My RB article is actually one of my best attempts to try to keep it simple... =)

wow - the lack of metric really makes things difficult, sorry.

even the whole concept of "tank size by air capacity" is bizarre :p

anyone in the metric world worked on this stuff?

Back
Top Bottom