Buoyancy 1.0 - the sudden fly away effect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even among agencies with very high standards, the abilities of instructors to teach can vary. I was told, in my Fundies class, that I had to fix my problem with going out of trim when task-loaded, but I wasn't given tools with which to do it. Turned out I needed to move some weight up onto my cambands; once I did that, my tendency to rotate head-up when distracted went away. On the other hand, I have read reports of classes with Beto Nava in Monterey, where quite a bit of time is spent making sure gear is properly balanced.

On the other hand, I would say that gear balancing is something which ought to be within both the mental and physical grasp of most students, without an instructor's help, once the student understands that gear needs to be balanced. I think we have described many times here how it's done -- you need a buddy who can give you feedback on your posture, because bad posture will skew any attempt to balance gear. Once your posture is right, you get horizontal (with confirmation from buddy) and stop moving, and see where you tilt. Then you move things around and try again. It's not rocket science -- again, once you KNOW it can be an issue, and how to check for it.

...//... I would say that gear balancing is something which ought to be within both the mental and physical grasp of most students, without an instructor's help, once the student understands that gear needs to be balanced. ...//...

It isn't always that straightforward. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/368158-advice-small-doubles-2.html#post5719738

For me, just being able to see my own trim while I made attempts to adjust it was quite sufficient feedback.

Combined with the problem of my old backplate being too small and nobody correcting my trim, I'd just plow along at about 30 off horizontal. With the new backplates, and a donut wing, no prob.

-still saying that someone should teach gear balancing way up front in one's dive training.

I agree, and it's a significant part of Peter's PPB class, if the student owns his own gear. But it is kind of a balancing act (so to speak) because until the student has some ability to hold his body in good posture, you can't really fully evaluate the static balance of the equipment -- and unbalanced equipment tends to keep the student from achieving a stable platform. So the path can be less than simple. And there is no doubt that an instructor's feedback (and a video camera!) can help.

...//... the path can be less than simple. ...//...

Yes.

I came back to your post a couple of times and now see that it deserves a response as this is the New Divers Forum.

First: Well done, Peter Guy! Seriously, I mean it. Keep at it.

New Divers, "balanced [-]rig[/-]" unfortunately means two very different things. We were using the "properly distributed mass" meaning in a fairly cavalier way. The new dive student should not confuse this with the "correct weighting at the end of a dive" meaning of "balanced rig". The end of dive definition is, most likely, the more common/important meaning.

Finally, striving for reproducability when gearing-up is critical. Tank(s) in the same place with respect to the bands or BP and all straps tightened to your personal "standard" will go a long way in removing variability. You should be able to immediately tell when something "doesn't feel right".

Edit: Strike-out added, TSandM is correct.

Last edited:
The new dive student should not confuse this with the "correct weighting at the end of a dive" meaning of "balanced rig". The end of dive definition is, most likely, the more common/important meaning

I don't believe I have ever seen "balanced rig" used to describe being correctly weighted. It is used to describe a weighting strategy that permits swimming the gear to the surface in the event of a catastrophic wing/BC failure, or having enough ditchable weight to do so after ditching. You can be correctly weighted and not be diving a balanced rig.

I can see that a new diver, reading threads here, might be confused between balancing their gear and diving a balanced rig. Balancing your gear, as I was describing it, is moving weight around so you can float easily in a horizontal position without kicking. Balanced rig is something that rarely pertains to new divers, because it's primarily a concern when diving big steel tanks or doubles.

latestartfish, do I correct read that you were using 28 pounds of weight in a freshwater swimming pool, wearing a BC and a bathing suit and no wetsuit at all? Unless you weigh about 400 pounds, that's a ridiculous amount of weight.

Nope, nowhere near 400 lbs, and yes, TSandM, you read correctly. I'd have donned the wetsuit for the experience, but it took me 10 minutes just to get the boots on, since the fins fit with them, and we were way behind schedule by then. I was planning to call the LDS but they called me first and said another pool dive was required before our ocean trip, and I actually have a chance to get TWO more, one Saturday and one Sunday. I plan on being fully donned, wetsuit and vest included, plus BC, etc., and ask LOTS of questions. Most of the instructors (five were there that night) seemed very helpful, and I think they expected me to be wearing more exposure protection when they set up the rented BC.

If, after all that, I still am not completely confident, I'll forego this month's trip and get more pool time until I am. Coincidentally, my husband and I were discussing just this topic today and he doesn't want me to go if I'm even remotely anxious.

Thanks for your post. It confirmed my thoughts about all the weight. And may I never, ever, ever weigh anywhere even close to 400 lbs. :shocked2:

LSF
:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom