Bungie Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vicente

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So any detailed tips for working with bungie cord?

Just looking at the necklace I use now and while I have knotted up something that works, I look at and think "that could be better". Perhaps the best knots to use? Or should I consider using a thread to stitch the knots into permanent place once I have it adjusted just right, or use SuperGlue?

This also applies to setting up for example the bungie cord for my new Deep Sea Supply wrist-mount for my Gekko. Trying to decide on criss-cross loops, or independent loops, etc.

I use small size cable ties, aka zip ties to secure bungee and surgical tubing.

Fisherman's knot works wonders when you make the necklace -- just slip the mouthpiece into the loop/opening the knot creates

Attachments

• DubblFish.gif
    DubblFish.gif
    46.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DoubleFisherman.gif
    DoubleFisherman.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 125
Vicente:
So any detailed tips for working with bungie cord?

Just looking at the necklace I use now and while I have knotted up something that works, I look at and think "that could be better". Perhaps the best knots to use? Or should I consider using a thread to stitch the knots into permanent place once I have it adjusted just right, or use SuperGlue?

This also applies to setting up for example the bungie cord for my new Deep Sea Supply wrist-mount for my Gekko. Trying to decide on criss-cross loops, or independent loops, etc.

Vicente,

What I do with bungee is sew the ends together, and then "whip" the joint with nylon thread. Very secure. If you want to protect the whipping you can coat with aquaseal. This how I make a necklace for my BU reg.

What I usually do with my instrument mounts is use a single long piece of bungee. Start with a 1/2 hitch pulled very tight. That forms a ball on the end of the bungee.

Make loop large enough for your upper forearm, and then run the bungee around the back of the mount and form a loop large enough for lower forearm and tie another 1/2 hitch. This allows for easy adjustment of the lenght of the two loops, you just slide the material across the back of the mount.

If you use two independent loops you may find, as I did, that you get one loop perfect for the upper forearm, and the lower loop is too tight or too loose etc. If you can adjust both hitting the right lenght becomes easier.

Good luck,

Tobin

They make steel rings called hogrings that can be crushed over the cord with a special plier. This is how I used to attach bungee to lobster trap doors. Not sure how it would work in this application.

How about cutting bungee cord?

I'm moving my SK7 compass to a DSS mount. I have some 3/16 cord. When I cut the end, it expands and is all but impossible to thread through the holes????

cfelliot:
How about cutting bungee cord?

I'm moving my SK7 compass to a DSS mount. I have some 3/16 cord. When I cut the end, it expands and is all but impossible to thread through the holes????
You could wrap a piece of electrical tape where you want to cut and then cut through it so that it keeps everything nice and neat.

The problem wasn’t really in the cutting of the cord, but rather in the fact that the cord and holes diameter are very close. This made the cord very difficult to get through the holes.

The solution, for me, was to squeeze a cleanly cut end with a tie-wrap and then very carefully super-glue the fibers at the tip together without including the tie-wrap in the bond. I was then able to use this “needle” to thread through all the holes.

cfelliot:
The problem wasn’t really in the cutting of the cord, but rather in the fact that the cord and holes diameter are very close. This made the cord very difficult to get through the holes.

The solution, for me, was to squeeze a cleanly cut end with a tie-wrap and then very carefully super-glue the fibers at the tip together without including the tie-wrap in the bond. I was then able to use this “needle” to thread through all the holes.

If you tie off one end to your bench then stretch it. Then wrap it with tape, or whip it with some thread...2-3 inches should suffice... Heat up a knife and cut it. That should give a nice thin lead to work with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom