Bungees instead of Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spring straps do not have to be expensive. You can make your own for under $20 per pair. Cheaper if you're making multiple pairs, order the springs at the same time & save on shipping. The springs sell for $4.99 each, so $10 plus postage gets you the main component. A foot of delrin 3/4 inch rod to make the blocks with is about $5.00 plus postage. You should be able to cut 5 pairs from a foot.

There is a thread on how to make them in the Do It Yourself forum, go take a look.

dlegros:
Yes, but the natives nicked them back when I was on a surface interval!
Dom

An advantage of bungee: natives only swipe vines and springs. They don't mess with bungee.

After hearing here of the successes with bungee, I got some flat bungee (like very heavy-duty 1" elastic), and I'm going to try it out.

cyclon_300:
$30 for something

that will likely last a lifetime of diving and doesn't require maintenance is a worthwhile price to pay. If messing around replacing bungee cord straps on a periodic basis to save a penny seems practical to you, go right ahead and use them.

Diving is an expensive hobby, why worry about small-change items like straps?

Very good point. But with so many things to spend on, this seems like a good place to pinch a penny. Springs will come next if I'm not satisfied with the bungees.

I got a couple of bungees that are in my save a dive kit as back up straps. With my fins the hooks go around the post easily.

As promised...

The other end just loops through the buckle, the loose ends secured with two cable-ties per end and melted to prevent further fraying.

Dom

Back
Top Bottom