Bungees instead of Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spring straps come from cave diving and are used so you don't have to worry about breaking a fin strap while several thousand feet back in a system. When you have to maintain 10 times the amount of gear compared to open water recreational diving not having to worry about your fin straps breaking or being maintained, priceless. When in open water most of the time a broken fin strap is a bit of a pain. When very far back in a cave it can easily be life threatening. Bungee material may be a little better lasting but still something that needs to be maintained and checked on a regular basis so I would not consider it for cave diving. For open water though it could be a cheaper alternative. Doing a deep wreck in Jersey or something similar I would still stick with the SS straps though.

I use bungies on my current fins. I will put bungies on my jets soon. I may switch to SS straps when I start being serious about wrecks or caves. Until then, I have had no probs (knock on wood)

that will likely last a lifetime of diving and doesn't require maintenance is a worthwhile price to pay. If messing around replacing bungee cord straps on a periodic basis to save a penny seems practical to you, go right ahead and use them.

Diving is an expensive hobby, why worry about small-change items like straps?

I use bungies on my compass and with over 300 dives the bungie hasn't degraded. Call me a sheep though since I use spring straps on my fins. If your not cave diving or deep penetration on a wreck then go for it.

Isn't duct tape cheapest?

DivesWithTurtle:
I've seen how popular the Spring Fin Straps are.

Are there good reasons why springs are so much better than bungees for the straps? It would seem to me that making them with bungees would be much easier and cheaper.

Main reason most people use the spring fin straps on their rubber fins is that they are sheep and DIR says that's what they should use (Jet fins with the spring straps). Oh yah, I forgot to mention that I use Force Fins with bungies that I've had for about ten years now and they are still going fine, with around 250 dives a year.

I also use force fins with bungee straps for the last 2 years and about 250 dives so far with them. The straps certainly still hold up very well. I used to have ss on my old Quattro and I find the bungee a lot more comfortable and easier to take the fins on and off. I am just a recreational diver and don't do any cave/wreck penetration and I am perfectly happy with bungee!

DivesWithTurtle:
Dom,
You haven't tried vines, have you?

Yes, but the natives nicked them back when I was on a surface interval! :)

I have Mares X3 fins, replaces the ABS buckles with the fin attachment from normal straps, double length of bungee.

I'll try and remember to take a picture when I get home from work.

Dom

Bobby F:
Spring straps come from cave diving and are used so you don't have to worry about breaking a fin strap while several thousand feet back in a system. When you have to maintain 10 times the amount of gear compared to open water recreational diving not having to worry about your fin straps breaking or being maintained, priceless. When in open water most of the time a broken fin strap is a bit of a pain. When very far back in a cave it can easily be life threatening. Bungee material may be a little better lasting but still something that needs to be maintained and checked on a regular basis so I would not consider it for cave diving. For open water though it could be a cheaper alternative. Doing a deep wreck in Jersey or something similar I would still stick with the SS straps though.

Actualy spring straps were made ( I should say Marketed ) by Oceanic a long time ago - because rubber straps break, they had nothing to do with cavediving Specificly.

Back
Top Bottom