Bungees instead of Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivesWithTurtles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen how popular the Spring Fin Straps are.

Are there good reasons why springs are so much better than bungees for the straps? It would seem to me that making them with bungees would be much easier and cheaper.

Would you really want to trust a bungee over a stainless steel spring to hold your fin in place?

The answer for me is NO WAY.

detroit diver:
Would you really want to trust a bungee over a stainless steel spring to hold your fin in place?

I wouldn't do this, but, I've certainly seen where folks trust a bungee to stop a fall after jumping off of a bridge. The strength of a bungee vs. a spring can't be the issue. Maybe the securing hardware? And if that is the issue, doesn't it come down to how the bungee (or the spring) is attached and secured?

I'm not trying to make a case for bungees, just trying to think this through with questions.

bungee wears out spring straps dont.

As I have bungee straps on several pairs here's my take on the issue... Bungees are better than rubber straps in that they don't slip as easily, and are as easy to don/doff as ss spring straps. I have had bungee straps on 5 of my 6 pair of fins for about 6 months now (all stored in the back up my Pickup truck in the heat) and none show any sign of degrading so far... (I stress the "so far") at their cost I will probably replace them annually or biannualy. They should not wear out any faster than rubber, and are probably stronger. The fins I use them on are loaner fins, so I did not want to invest a lot in them, but I did want them to be as close to springs as possible. My personal fins are SS spring straps - and while the bungees feel very much the same, they are a little thinner than the springs, making them just slightly less comfortable (not much however)

If you are interested in pics - http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html

hope that helps...
Aloha, Tim

Certain African tribes use vines attached to their ankles to break their fall after a dive into the dirt. (kind of like bungee jumping).

I don't think a vine would be wise either. :11:

It's not the strength, it's the degredation.

DivesWithTurtle:
I wouldn't do this, but, I've certainly seen where folks trust a bungee to stop a fall after jumping off of a bridge. The strength of a bungee vs. a spring can't be the issue. Maybe the securing hardware? And if that is the issue, doesn't it come down to how the bungee (or the spring) is attached and secured?

I'm not trying to make a case for bungees, just trying to think this through with questions.

I've currently been using bungee on my fins for the last two years with no signs of degredation.

Dom

dlegros:
I've currently been using bungee on my fins for the last two years with no signs of degredation.

Dom

Dom,
You haven't tried vines, have you?

detroit,
I do respect your judgment, but not without stating the reasoning behind it. Degradation is a reason. But, you could replace bungee every year for fifteen years for the cost of spring straps. And then you wouldn't have to worry about the spring's fatigue over time.

(Again, my argument is not to persuade or convince you. It's just to provoke thought and get answers.)

dlegros:

Dom

Do you have Jets and do something like Tim, or do you have posts on your fins? If posts, how do you secure the bungees?

DivesWithTurtle:
Dom,
You haven't tried vines, have you?

detroit,
I do respect your judgment, but not without stating the reasoning behind it. Degradation is a reason. But, you could replace bungee every year for fifteen years for the cost of spring straps. And then you wouldn't have to worry about the spring's fatigue over time.

(Again, my argument is not to persuade or convince you. It's just to provoke thought and get answers.)
I have a friend who dives with bungie straps. He uses them doubled up with a knot in the middle to allow him to grip them. He uses thinner shock chord style and they seem to work fine. I only use ss straps because I am a sheep who likes to look like everyone else :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom