bungees and tank positioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue with sidemount is there's no single answer to all configurations or even all divers. Creating a single rig that will work well in all circumstances is impossible. There are rigs that will work in all circumstances, but they are all suited for one specific type and aren't ideal for others. Of course, manufacturers don't want to accept that. It costs money to build different rigs. So they continue to try to find the one rig that will do it all.

A common response throughout the years to the question by people moving into backmounted doubles is which wing will work for both single tanks and double tanks. The answer has always been that there are rigs that will work for both but not well. To get a rig that works well you need a different rig for each configuration. The question is slightly different now but the answer is the same. This is why I own several sidemount rigs and why I use 3 of them pretty regularly depending on the dive I'm doing.

Rob, I have a Nomad and an xdeep stealth
. I would never have more than 2x 10.5 Faber's and maybe a 40cuf alloy stage. I am not a cave diver.,open water rec/tec would fit.. I was planning on using my xdeep rig primarily as it is much more streamlined. I am curious to know what factors would make you to choose one of your rigs over another...lift of the wing? I have 35lbs of lift with two steels...I have dived them and it was OK on the surface ...thanks for the invaluable advice

Actually, the Nomad can be made to be much more streamlined than the xdeep. The wing on the xdeep has a pretty high profile.

The determining factors for theh rig I choose are the cylinders I will be using for a particular dive and how small of a restriction I'll be going through. My usual rig is an Armadillo with 33lbs of lift. I can dive 2 Faber LP95s, 2 AL80s, and an AL40 with that rig. Any more than that and I have to use my Nomad that's rated with 50lbs of lift, although the way I have it rigged up I probably get somewhere in the low 40s. In Mexico I use a Razor with a couple of different wings, depending on how many tanks I'll need (meaning how much lift).

Now you mention that I guess the nomad does lay flatter, I find the stealth much less bulky,almost like you have nothing on. I am going to save up for a trip to Florida for a training holiday. There is so much to learn

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I Just returned from a week in Vanuatu diving the Coolidge. I was side mount my mate was back mount twins. The tanks were luxfer 11.1 I think, took me a day to figure them out as they stayed negative until at least 120 bar. I used rigging like yours Rob and it was really good . there were other sidemounters there but not very well setup at all I didn't think. I gave my new Tilly tec a good run and it was great as well. I'll try and post some pictures

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom