Bungeed Octo - Length Of The Necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
So, about a year ago I switched to a long hose config, mainly since I find it easier to handle my camera rig with a completely clean frontside, with not even a backup reg hanging from the shoulder D-ring. While I made my necklace rather short, just long enough to keep my chin from hitting my backup when I tuck my chin down, I've seen others using rather long necklaces. Typically they're long enough for the backup to hang somewhere midway between the diver's chin and their DS inflator.

Is it me who's got the wrong idea here, or have ones with the long necklaces got it wrong? Or is it just a matter of taste?

While there is a position in some ranks that you should have it where you can dip your chin and get to it without using your hands, it really is "what works for you"....

The fact it is in a controlled and predictable location makes it a benefit, regardless of bungie length (extremes omitted).

mine have to be short enough for me to reach down and kind of nuzzle the regulator to be able to bite onto it without using my hands. Any shorter and it's uncomfortable, any longer and it requires use of hands. Neither are particularly good, so adjust accordingly. I tie mine with a prusik loop with slides on opposite sides. This allows me to move the suicide strap around to different regulators, and also do fine adjustment of the length depending on if I'm wearing a hood or not.

Last edited:
Mine is short enough that I can almost, but not quite, get it in my mouth without using my hands.

I don't mind mine so short that I can't just dip my mouth and grab the mouthpiece. My wife hates hers that short. Personal taste.

I tie mine with a pair of prusik loops on opposite sides.

Interesting. I've just tied the bungee in a loop with a fisherman's knot, put the backup's mouthpiece through the loop that forms before you pull the two parts of the knots together and tightened well to keep the knot from slipping.

i have a couple like that as well but the prusik seems to be less prone to getting snagged on things

upload_2016-3-29_10-8-40.png

trying to picture what you are doing.... how is this knot used in this application?

not the knot, the prusik loop. When you tie the double fisherman knots to make the loop, pull the knots apart and it will create an adjustable hole that you can then pull tight to hold onto the mouthpiece.

Is it me who's got the wrong idea here, or have ones with the long necklaces got it wrong? Or is it just a matter of taste?
Taste. I even have a double hose necklace for when I side mount.

View attachment 370604
trying to picture what you are doing.... how is this knot used in this application?
The Prusik is made up of two grape knots. The mouthpiece goes between the two. Also, a climbing Prusik is never made from bungee material. It's designed to be a tie off on a climbing rope.

Back
Top Bottom