Bungeed Octo - Length Of The Necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In climbing, prusik loops are used for ascending a fixed rope, primarily if the climber falls and is hanging on the rope by his/her harness. Also used in crevasse self-rescue. I think the only thing in common here is that the fisherman's knot is used for both making the bungee necklace and for making the prusik loop. Making a prusik loop for a bungee necklace would not make any sense, the whole point of the loop is for something different.

BTW, most climbers don't even use the prusik loop system any more, they use mechanical ascenders, which generally work a lot better. The advantage of the prusik is that's much lighter, so climbers use them in situations where they think it's unlikely that they'll actually be needed.

note the difference between prusik loops and prusik knots. I do use a lot of prusik knots in scuba, as do all cave divers, but the prusik loops are incredibly useful. Brett Hemphill has posted a bunch of uses for them for stage bottles and bolt snaps on primaries instead of the normal bolt snap placement.

Let's use the proper terminology:

Unless you can show me otherwise, from my training, TBone's terminologys not correct as the "Prusik" is the wrapped loop. Pete was quite close... It's actually called a "grapevine knot" (or double/triple fishermen's knot/bent).

That being said, a grapevine knot can be utilized to make the loop used in a Prusik Hitch.

Things are clearer now..... :cheers:

Last edited:
Let's use the proper terminology:

Unless you can show me otherwise, from my training, TBone's terminologys not correct as the "Prusik" is the wrapped loop. Pete was quite close... It's actually called a "grapevine knot" (or double/triple fishermen's knot/bent).

That being said, a grapevine knot can be utilized to make the loop used in a Prusik Hitch.

Things are clearer now..... :cheers:

Agreed......speaking from a High Angle rescuer.

the way it was taught to me is prusik knot is what you use the prusik loop for, and prusik was the act of tying said knot.
The Prusik loop is created with the double fisherman bends, which are the key to tying suiciding straps/necklaces because when you separate the knots you create that hole that the mouthpiece goes into.

Last edited:
I used to use a fisherman's knot separated by the mouthpiece. I found the knots to be a minor annoyance to my mouth when using the back up. I've been using the zip tie that holds the mouthpiece on with a basic knot on each end over the bungee for 3-4 years now. Pretty simple and works great. The bungee length is short enough I can work the reg into my mouth without hands if I really had to but long enough it's comfortable and out of the way.

You with the Niagara River (Ontario) area team?

Nope, I was the training officer for the Urban Search and Rescue team (USAR) for CFB Esquimalt, part of task force 1, Vancouver.

The Prusik loop is created with the double fisherman bends, which are the key to tying suiciding straps/necklaces because when you separate the knots you create that hole that the mouthpiece goes into.
So it's basically the same knot that I'm using, then.

I was also under the impression that you were talking about the Prusik knot, BTW.

Another BTW, BTW: One of the reasons I prefer the fisherman's knot loop is that it'll give if pulled hard enough. So it's less of a "suicide strap" than other necklaces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom