Bungee Rigging my Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice work Robert! It may be overkill, but safe is always better than sorry. So where can a guy get teflon tubing, and what size did you go with?

GearHead once bubbled...
So where can a guy get teflon tubing, and what size did you go with?

That's where I get it. Model airplaners use it for various things. It is used for oil pressure gauges on cars and air shocks on cars.
try B&B car parts. I have a bunch of it, so when we hook up for a dive, it's yours.
Jeff

Brilliant, thanks Jeff!

JeffAustin once bubbled...

That's where I get it. Model airplaners use it for various things. It is used for oil pressure gauges on cars and air shocks on cars.
try B&B car parts. I have a bunch of it, so when we hook up for a dive, it's yours.
Jeff

I got it at a place called Fry's Electronics. I'm sure you could find it at Radio Shack. The outside diameter is 1/8 in and it is very thin walled.

How about this question; can you find a way or do you know of a way to attach a Vytec or Vyper to a retractable cable?
I currently use a retractor and like it since it's out of the way unless I need it, but now that I'm Nitrox certified, I'd like to get a computer on the retractor like the suunto.

:wacko:

Thanks,
Caymaniac

I used to use retractors but am not a fan of them anymore. When ascending I like to have everything on my wrist since I am usually carrying a camera/strobes. Also, that is the reason I got hoseless AI so that I don't have to deal with teathers.

lal7176... the Nitek elastic strap looks nice, but I see one big problem.
The failure point has now moved to the single plastic buckle. I've had similar buckles break.
If it were a pair of stainless hoops like the Waterborne, I'd love the design.

RichLockyer once bubbled...
lal7176... the Nitek elastic strap looks nice, but I see one big problem.
The failure point has now moved to the single plastic buckle. I've had similar buckles break.
If it were a pair of stainless hoops like the Waterborne, I'd love the design.

Actually it seems like a fairly durable buckle but that may be something ill check into is replacing the buckle with a set of SS double hoops.It shoudnt take much for my wife to sew them in place of the buckle.Any ideas where to buy some small SS hoops?

rstark once bubbled...
I am thinking of doing the bungee through the cut strap but really don't want to ruin the straps.
I saw an alternative that was poorly executed on a link from the BAUE site. Since it was poorly executed, I won't post the link (It replaces a perfectly-normal watch band with a perfectly "DIR" bungee but still allows loss with the failure of one pin and the photos suck), but it can be modified as follows:

Get some Mt. climber's 1" nylon tubed webbing (like the stuff Halcyon puts on their spring straps).
Cut two pieces of tubing, each 1" long. Singe the cut ends.
Install the tubing over the Vyper's pins. Walla... you now have two "strap stubs" just as you would if you cut the OEM strap off.

Here's the modification of the site...
RESIST the urge to use a single loop of bungee, threaded through the tuding parallel with the pins... this looks "DIR", but still required failure of one pin to drop the computer.
Instead, forget that it is tubing and burn two holes through each piece, just as you would the OEM strap stubs. Thread the two loops of bungee through and you're set.

Total cost for drysuit and tropical bands: couple of bucks.

I use the Waterborne with my TLS350, and like Uncle Pug said, I have skinny arms.
Mine is adjusted on the LAST hole, and I actually wear it down on the seal... not up on the sleeve itself. My glove's skirt holds it up... still, even with the glove off, it will not slip over my hand. Feels like it... but it won't get to my knuckles.

Back
Top Bottom