Bungee or spring straps: which is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was never able to find any springs that fit my Mares fins. That's why I went with the bungee.

FYI, on my Mares fins I've used TUSA TA-80 Spring Straps purchased in 2009 and they've been awesome for the last 9 years. Before that, I used Manta Spring Straps purchased in 2003 and 2004. They still work great, but the TUSA's are nicer. (Mares Fins with these springs: Raptor, Volo Power, and Plana Avanti Quattro)

I noticed that in fact the type of slots must be 2 or 3 in total for all the fins. So most bungees should be compatible with many kinds of fins of different brands. I ended up buying Mares bungee and I am very happy about them

Today I went to the diving shop and I saw some bungees I thought were spare parts for Mares fin bungees. In fact they weren't. They were Omer bungees for spear fishing
Like these ones (similar)
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00Q4V6ZQM...nkCode=df0&hvdev=c&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=&th=1&psc=1
I took a pair of these, and they were exactly the same lenght and width of the bungee mounted on Mares Avanti Quattro. Moreover, inside the fins there were some additional cylinders that work as an adaptor between the fin and the Mares bungee. Well again the Omer spearfishing bungees were perfectly compatible

Bungee or spring straps: which is best?
Some people say bungee are easier to use, some other say they are more or less similar to spring straps
Some say bungee are easier to get damaged after some years, while spring are more resistant
What do you think?
Springs all the way.

Springs are fine if they fit, expensive to replace if they don't, I have modded my travel Deep 6 fins with bungee
27008864487_d675c0a084_c.jpg

41834172762_ce87237869_c.jpg

It's easy and cheap, tie them on to adjust then wire tie them to set the length, you can even add pull tabs.

I would like to build a pair of these to keep them as spare bungees. How do you tie them up to the stud on the fine, like Mares Plana Avanti type? The stud has a particular shape, perhaps someone already tried and can also suggest an existing thread in the DIY section

Love my springs but never tried the bungee, will have to give it a try now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom