Bummed out by Attempt at OW Dive (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angela2932 and Girsh,
A good wetsuit will fit like a second skin, make the dive more comfortable and yes, be a pain to put on. A custom wetsuit ($400)cost only $50-100 more than off the rack in many cases, but is worth it. I spray my arms, legs and shoulders with 1/3 hair conditioner and 2/3 water to help slip into the suit. A plastic bag on the hands and feet will help put it on as well.

Two solutions for tight fitting wetsuits:
Solution 1, for tight wetsuit, buy a drysuit for cold water diving. They only need to be snug against the skin at the neck, and the wrist (I wear dry gloves which eliminates this seal as well). More expensive true fut for really cold water worth it. A drysuit will run $600-$4000 depending on manufacturer and add ons (plumbing is NOT a luxury) and the under garments are another $300-$600) but if you shop around you can get set-up for less and there is the used market too.

Solution 2, I certified recently as a dive buddy for handicapped divers (HSAscuba.com). In the course we discussed putting a wetsuit on a paraplegic or quadriplegic diver and the best solution is a gusseted wetsuit. Zippers that run the full length (or a good portion of it) of the leg and arm with a gusset behind it to keep the water out. These are common in Japan and among wetsuit diving emergency divers who must don a suit in a hurry. So you can have a wetsuit that is loose fitting to put on, but skin tight in the water.

Angela2932, a dive buddy of mine was over the course of several years diagnosed with arthritis, and many other diseases including Lew Gerri's Disease eventually becoming a quadriplegic. He of course had none of the ailments they thought he had. Eventually, they figured it out and a major (and amazing) surgery later, and he is just fine and diving often and now doing deep technical dives. I hurt my knees playing soccer (at 52) i 2006 and the Army doctors immediately jumped to a diagnosis of Arthritis. I argued, "I did not have arthritis in that knee at 7:54 this morning, but after a sideways hit playing soccer I suddenly have arthritis at 7:65 a.m.?", I don't think so. Xray and an a MRI later, no arthritis. Same with my shoulder in 2007, arthritis they said, the MRI said torn rotator cup. So my message to you is this, keep up the fight. They call it medical practice because the doctors don't really have all the answers. They will look for the obvious answer (and if you are older and having pain, arthritis is it). Be your own advocate. You are only as old as you feel. Or as the bard William S. once said " do not go gently into that dark night". If you live life to the fullest you usually have more life to live. As you know, it is easy to come up with reasons why you can't, it is harder (and more fun) to say you can and to figure out a way. Life is a verb, it is what you do!

Angela- I was 56 and my husband 54 when we learned to scuba. The buoyancy was the hardest part...but with practice we've conquered it(well almost). We look back at our OW cert with a smile and realize it was just the beginning to a wonderful world that some people will never have/want the opportunity to experience.
Don't let your age or injuries stop you from doing something you really want to do. I have had 4 broken legs, two arms, ribs, fingers, toes,and knee surgery. Everyone laughs at my "bent-knee" giant stride...but I don't let that keep me from seeing the wonders of the deep.
Good luck with your knee and I hope you make the right decision about diving.

...Thank you all, once again! I'll keep you posted, and if you have more suggestions about what I should work on, I'd love to hear them.

Pasley is right, get the MRI. Long, tear stained monolog reduced too; Trust me, get the MRI.
As for diving in cold water, as Pasley also said, get one that fits, it makes a world of difference.

Diving, breathing underwater is an un-natural act. Your mind will fight this impulse until you become convinced it is indeed possible. Remember this, there is no hurry, no reason to get it done all at once. Hire the instructor to give you private classes and go slow, stay shallow and advance at a rate that makes you comfortable. Believe me (and the others), that have encouraged you to fight on, the things you will see, the people you meet will both entertain and amaze you. You will never regret it.

I will look forward to reading a post from you sometime in the future where you give advice to another new diver expressing their concerns about their first OW class and how you got over it.:wink:

VVladimir, you totally cracked me up! It's when I read your comment about macrame that I think I started to turn a corner today! It's exactly because of macrame, that I WANT to go scuba diving! Two years ago, I could barely walk, because of a misdiagnosed form of inflammatory arthritis. I kept being put in walking casts (that I didn't need), and was feeling trapped into life as a couch potato that I didn't want. I taught myself to crochet from the internet out of boredom; regaining mobility makes me want more out of life, more than macrame!
Great! Then scuba diving is the perfect activity. It doesn't require any athletic ability, it doesn't require much fitness (Although it can motivate you to become fitter. As in life in general, the fitter you are the more you will enjoy it.), and the suspension of gravity is a real salve to aching joints. I think you will enjoy it--witness all the fanatics here on the Scubaboard--once you get the hang of it.

Angela2932 and Girsh,
A good wetsuit will fit like a second skin, make the dive more comfortable and yes, be a pain to put on. A custom wetsuit ($400)cost only $50-100 more than off the rack in many cases, but is worth it. I spray my arms, legs and shoulders with 1/3 hair conditioner and 2/3 water to help slip into the suit. A plastic bag on the hands and feet will help put it on as well.

Two solutions for tight fitting wetsuits:
Solution 1, for tight wetsuit, buy a drysuit for cold water diving. They only need to be snug against the skin at the neck, and the wrist (I wear dry gloves which eliminates this seal as well). More expensive true fut for really cold water worth it. A drysuit will run $600-$4000 depending on manufacturer and add ons (plumbing is NOT a luxury) and the under garments are another $300-$600) but if you shop around you can get set-up for less and there is the used market too.

Solution 2, I certified recently as a dive buddy for handicapped divers (HSAscuba.com). In the course we discussed putting a wetsuit on a paraplegic or quadriplegic diver and the best solution is a gusseted wetsuit. Zippers that run the full length (or a good portion of it) of the leg and arm with a gusset behind it to keep the water out. These are common in Japan and among wetsuit diving emergency divers who must don a suit in a hurry. So you can have a wetsuit that is loose fitting to put on, but skin tight in the water.

Angela2932, a dive buddy of mine was over the course of several years diagnosed with arthritis, and many other diseases including Lew Gerri's Disease eventually becoming a quadriplegic. He of course had none of the ailments they thought he had. Eventually, they figured it out and a major (and amazing) surgery later, and he is just fine and diving often and now doing deep technical dives. I hurt my knees playing soccer (at 52) i 2006 and the Army doctors immediately jumped to a diagnosis of Arthritis. I argued, "I did not have arthritis in that knee at 7:54 this morning, but after a sideways hit playing soccer I suddenly have arthritis at 7:65 a.m.?", I don't think so. Xray and an a MRI later, no arthritis. Same with my shoulder in 2007, arthritis they said, the MRI said torn rotator cup. So my message to you is this, keep up the fight. They call it medical practice because the doctors don't really have all the answers. They will look for the obvious answer (and if you are older and having pain, arthritis is it). Be your own advocate. You are only as old as you feel. Or as the bard William S. once said " do not go gently into that dark night". If you live life to the fullest you usually have more life to live. As you know, it is easy to come up with reasons why you can't, it is harder (and more fun) to say you can and to figure out a way. Life is a verb, it is what you do!

When I buy a wetsuit for colder water, I'm definitely getting something along the lines of a hyperstretch that will fit me the way it should, but won't KILL me to get on.

If you have finished the academic portion of the class and passed the written test, you can go to somewhere warm and finished the pool and/or open water portion of the class.

It's called a "referral".

This has all been so incredibly helpful! I'm feeling tremendously relieved today, made my decision to continue with diving, and called the dive instructor to talk with him about this.

I spend the last couple of days trying to process all this, what my thinking was and the wild thoughts that made me feel so panicky(I can't breathe; I can't descend; I'll have an uncontrolled ascent, and what's this platform thing we're not suppose to fall off????), and trying to identify what I need to do differently. I know part of this was having unreasonable expectations about what the open dive would be like. And part of it was not really having my gear in order (the angle of the snorkel on the mask was mostly underwater; the wetsuit was unevenly twisted). And a big part of it was not doing the infamous "stop and think" when I encountered a problem. I was much more inclined to "stop and FLEE", and this refrain of "this just isn't for me" suddenly sounded like the most wonderful mantra in the world.

Except I really do want to do this. There's something unbelievably compelling about this, about having a part of life where I'm actively engaged in it, not just having another "window" into other people's lives (like TV, and books, and even computers). Now, hearing more of your experiences, I'm realizing there's more of a learning curve involved in this, and humbly proceeding in my slow, turtle fashion is where I can be with this. It's really been hard explaining to my friends that I didn't do the open water dives. I'd avoid even mentioning it, but my limp gives me away and I've always been really bad at lying.

I've worked out my own "Scuba Diving Remediation Plan" and am going to repeat the pool portion of the certification program before I do the open dives again. I may not be able to do the open dives this fall (at least not around here :D but that might make it so much more likely that I'll find a warmer place for the OW dives. My brother lives in Dallas, TX; I bet it's much much warmer there in October/November than here! (Anyone know of possibilities for OW dives there?)

Part of my "Remediation Scuba 101" is going to involve dealing with my knee. In my . . . ummm. . . . "graceful" exit from the lake, standing up with the gear in about one foot of water, tore my meniscus. But there's good news!!!! It actually doesn't hurt that much. I'm seeing the swelling decrease rapidly; I've got much more motion today than yesterday, am doing the exercises given me by my md, and he's ok with my going back into the pool with fins and snorkel and mask whenever I want. I'm pretty sure he thinks my plan to start up the water aerobics again soon is nuts, but I should be able to figure out what I can and can't do fairly quickly.

So, in August, I'll work on my knee, snorkeling, flooding my mask in the pool (although I'm not quite sure how to clear it if I don't have weights on to stay under water. Maybe I'll have a friend put a hand on my shoulder while I kneel under water, but with the snorkel sticking up???)

The first week in September, the instructor said I could repeat the pool portion of the training. I don't think I need to sit through the classroom part again, but I'd like being back in the pool with the scuba equipment. Not highly exciting, but it'll lead to certification!

I'll keep you posted, and I really, really appreciate all your thoughts and support with this. And Vladimir, when I get certified, I'll send you some macrame, but not any that I'LL be making!:D

Angela

Sounds like a wonderful plan. Take your time; play in the pool until you are impatient and EAGER to go to open water.

I can't believe I'm going to quote an article from Oprah, but while I was waiting for my husband at the dentist's today, I read one about negative self-talk and negative self-images. It appears that some of it is truly physiologic, in that women have a larger cingulate gyrus and tend toward hypersensitivity and negative thoughts. The good news is you can shut it down by positive messages (gee, the self-help gurus have been saying that for years; turns out they're right!) So don't go for open water again until you can face it with some positive thoughts: I can't wait to get under there; I'm tired of the pool, and ready for open water; I know I can do everything I'll be asked to do, and I'm ready to prove it!

Angela,
I'm very proud of you for giving everything another try. You've experienced a problem, thought it through and came up with a plan. Way to go. Maybe someday we can dive together - it would be great. Please keep in touch with all of us and let me know how Remediation Scuba 101 is doing.
Take Care,
George
PADI MSDT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom