Bull Shark with Pup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tendi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently did a bull shark dive in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. We saw a mommy shark with a pup. I can't find anything online saying sharks keep their young with them. The divemasters said they see this from time to time and they weren't aware sharks did this either til they saw it. Does anyone know anything else about this?

Are you sure it was bull shark pup and not just a smaller grey reef shark? Were you with an dive op that was feeding the sharks or chumming to attract them. Grey reef sharks are in the area and they could be mistaken for a small bull shark. The two can look similar sometimes. Shark feeding dives can attract multiple species that ussually dont like to share the same space

No grey reef sharks in Playa (or the western Atlantic in general). Perhaps you meant Caribbean reef sharks?

No chumming/feeding. We only saw one shark at a time except for these two. Given the size and they way they behaved and swam together, I don't know what it could be besides a pup (and no, it was not a remora). I asked several divemasters and they all said the same thing. They didn't know sharks did this before they witnessed it themselves and they have seen it multiple times in this area. If I ever get unpacked and download my pics/video, I'll try to post it so you can see yourself.

thnx for sharing

Agree with DeepBlue ,if you look at the fin structure of the smaller fish it does not match the Bull or any other shark I can think of.I would think it is either a Cobia or a large Remora.

After looking at some other pics online, I think you're right. It looks like a Cobia. Thanks for solving the mystery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom