BULB OR BALLAST, whats dying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the ballast was stuffed, the difference this burn test was that i turned it off as it got to 10v rather then it cutting out at 12.5 or whatever.

for all you out there with a halcyon 9amp helios whats your chareger doing, doesnt seem to matter if the pack has just been drained or reading 14.5v it ALWAYS has both the red and the grren light on.

I thought it might not be working but it charges up to 14.5V so i figure it is......I DONT KNOW AHHHHHHHHHH

Do you have a buddy who has the same light? That's the easiest way to figure things out. Put his battery in your light. If it works for 4 hours it's your battery or charger.

His ballast in your light didn't fix the problem.

Or maybe it's just time to get a led model. :)

Just letting you all know it was both Ballast and battery.
The battery had a faulty connection inside. Still yet to work out what exactly is wrong with the ballast but now i have the battery sorted ill recheck it.
thanks to all those who helped

Just letting you all know it was both Ballast and battery.
The battery had a faulty connection inside. Still yet to work out what exactly is wrong with the ballast but now i have the battery sorted ill recheck it.
thanks to all those who helped

You may want to set up your light head and check the current load, then borrow the lamp from your buddy's light head and see if the current remains the same....if it does it is the ballast if not then the bulb. In most cases when a ballast fails it is total ..... either working or not. That isn't to say that something could have changed, like some moisture penetration or a component failure. If you have any questions you can call me or email me directly.
Carl
Carl@sarind.com
631 924-0441

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom