Building your own scooter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all - be VERY careful about safety with these, a scooter switch stuck in the "on" position can be extremely dangerous, dragging a diver up or down uncontrolled. Carefully consider a very reliable switch mechanism, or some sort of redundant killswitch. Runaway scooters can and do bend people.

If I were going to DIY a kickass scooter on a budget I would poke around for a GOOD deal on an old (dead?) past generation scooter, one of the large ones meant for lead acid batteries like a Farallon. That provides a cheap well-engineered housing and prop. I would replace the electronics with a large modern brushless motor, ESC, and LiFePO4 batteries with onboard BMS (or power tool batteries). Similar setup to an ebike. Make sure any penetrations, shaft seals, and o-rings are replaced and reliable.

Marinizing a big brushless motor and running it wet is also an option, and eliminates the shaft seal. Wet running brushless motors have a lot of advantages, though encapsulating the rotor and stator properly is nontrivial. Bearings, shafts, and hardware need to be swapped for corrosion resistant materials.

Only thinking about this because I have one in the shop I moved tonight to get at a door, but what about a decomissioned fire extinguisher or SCUBA bottle for a housing?

I have just started thinking about a DIY DPV; this guy has built one from a trolling motor: diy dive scooter - Google Suche

I don't like the toggle on/off switch, seems kinda sketchy, as mentioned by someone else. I don't suppose the shaft seal on the motor would be sufficent for any real depth. The video shows him about 6" underwater. Another issue is the lack of a clutch of the motor, and not much shroud; could lead to fingers becoming chum.

I like the idea of getting a Faralon and converting it to power tool batteries.

I have built many over the years . The hull was tricky with good learning mistakes . Your hull can be developed from a aluminum propane tank or similar pressure vessel . Trolling motors have worked fine and been at 150 feet many times . Just bought a new deca deep cycle battery 55 amp hour for the 55 pound thruster which gives you a one hour burn time

Aluminium cylinders that have failed testing make a cheap basis for housings. Require a lot of machining to reduce weight and some time spent learning about o rings and seals but can be very dependable

What about casting a hull out of fiberglass?
I have a lot of fiberglass experience - making moulds and laying up parts.
It would not be hard to design and build a torpedo shaped hull that could withstand 130 fsw.

A fiberglass hull made over a suitable form isn't difficult... The challenge is predicting the strength.

That said, it wouldn't be difficult to make a hull, plug it and drop it to some depth well below your planned max depth to test the strength.

I would have to go look up how thick the fiberglass needs to be, but I know variably due to hand laying is an issue.

I saw a hobby carbon tube winding machine at a makerfaire years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom