Building your own scooter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m thinking of building my own scooter. Has anyone here done this?
I was thinking of using an electric trolling motor, a multi directional sealed marine battery and build the housing out of fiberglass, which I have done a lot of (building plugs, casting molds, and finally casting finished parts). The controls might be a challenge but I could figure out a way to turn the handle controls into thumb controls on the handle.
I could also use aluminum since I can TIG weld it together, or a multitude of materials. I don’t care how heavy it is, I just want a lot of power and a lot of range. This would be for open ocean diving off beaches in Northern California.
And I have more time than money. I’m not shelling out 5K+ for a pro level scooter.

I’m thinking of building my own scooter. Has anyone here done this?
I was thinking of using an electric trolling motor, a multi directional sealed marine battery and build the housing out of fiberglass, which I have done a lot of (building plugs, casting molds, and finally casting finished parts). The controls might be a challenge but I could figure out a way to turn the handle controls into thumb controls on the handle.
I could also use aluminum since I can TIG weld it together, or a multitude of materials. I don’t care how heavy it is, I just want a lot of power and a lot of range. This would be for open ocean diving off beaches in Northern California.
And I have more time than money. I’m not shelling out 5K+ for a pro level scooter.

I built one using plans from Popular Science. I also tried to make a UW gill from such plans. The scooter worked, the gills did not. The scooter used a Shakespere trolling motor. I was a teenager and it did fine for the depths I dived at the time. I still have one of the plans sets (somewhere).

Then I owned a bunch of Tekna scooters.

James

FRP (Fiber-Reinforced Plastic) isn't a great choice for external pressure vessels/housings. Pressure testing once is not a reliable indicator of safe max depth rating because it is not a homogenous material like Aluminum.

The problem is an implosion of such a large housing would be devastating. I met a guy in the 1960s that lost fingers when a small Plexiglas (Leica) camera housing imploded in his hands, I don't know the depth.

FRP (Fiber-Reinforced Plastic) isn't a great choice for external pressure vessels/housings. Pressure testing once is not a reliable indicator of safe max depth rating because it is not a homogenous material like Aluminum.

The problem is an implosion of such a large housing would be devastating. I met a guy in the 1960s that lost fingers when a small Plexiglas (Leica) camera housing imploded in his hands, I don't know the depth.
The scooter plans I used to build mine specified an aluminum tube. The bulkheads were ply. The forward cone and aft cone were hard balsa and fiberglassed. PVC is probably what I would use today or even commercially available CF tube. Trolling motors are not intended for submergence at great depth and will likely eventually leak. Mine never leaked but I never took it deeper than 60 feet if that. Battery technology has so advanced and so have e-motors with electronic controls that what I built was like stoneage.

I used an earlier version of this plan set:

I depends on how thick and the shape too. Any surface that’s flat will suffer worse than a shape that is convex. Make it look like a bomb.
Also, minimize the internal cavity and design it so the battery compartment is minimal with minimal air space.
I would consider using vinyl ester resin and C-cloth which is used for missile nose cones. No matting.
I wouldn’t take it very deep either, about 100’ max.

Ha ha ha ha ha

Give Dave a shout out on arsebook

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom