Building My Bucket List of Place to Dive in North and South America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Galapagos Islands (Ecuador) --the Marine & Terrestrial Naturalist mecca. . .

Isle Royale National Park, Lake Superior. Some of the best viz on some of the best wrecks you'll ever see!

These are on my list.

** means I've been there.

Socorro - Revillagigedos Islands, MX.
Cenotes - Riviera Maya, MX
Cocos Islands off Costa Rica.
Galapagos Islands
Bonaire **
Saba
Dominica.

specific dives:

The Blue Hole and Lighthouse Atoll, Belize.
Bianca C. wreck off Grenada - the "Titanic" of the Caribbean. It's 600' long.
RMS Rhone, British Virgin Islands ** - where they filmed "The Deep". The most famous wreck in the Caribbean.
Superman's Flight/Keyhole Pinnacles, St. Lucia. The Pinnacles were named one of the 10 best dives in the Caribbean.
Victory Reef, Bahamas **
Bloody Bay Wall, Little Cayman
French Cay, Turks & Caicos **
The Sisters, Tobago
Nii'hau from Kauai - Vertical Awareness divesite.
Manta Night dive - Kona.

Last edited:
Crater Lake
Big Island of Hawaii
Cocos Island
Corn Island
Fiji
Nha Trang
Iceland
Blue Water (middle of the ocean) most anywhere

Of my very limited diving experience I'd definitely recommend the Manta dive in Kona, HI.

The things that are attracting me are mostly the fauna. I want to dive with whale sharks, well any shark really, but whale sharks draw a special attraction because of their size. The Manta dive was beyond great, swimming with the manatees in FL was really cool, though I wasn't on SCUBA at the time. Playful creatures, those.

I pretty much have loved diving and snorkeling everywhere I've done it and every place has so much to offer. I like it all so I've been very satisfied with every place and experience.

The only truly specific location on my list is Galapagos (after I get a few more dives-like 100- under my belt).

Great idea for a thread. Being in North America, I like the N/S America (+ Caribbean) theme. Bob, I'm saving your "tour" of Vancouver Island. I anchored in many of those places, pre-diving, and had no idea what was under me! It would be so cool to see them again "from below."

Well, Bob's nailed the Vancouver Island diving, and you've heard some about Monterey, and of course, you're there. But take a look at photos like this:

DSC_0250.jpg
to see what awaits you there.

To get a feeling for Browning Pass, have a look at this photo: Rapture of the Deep Photography | Browning Pass | Hiding in Plain Sight (Sorry, I can't embed, it's protected.)

I wouldn't downplay Seattle as a destination, either. Although we don't have the spectacular color and massive walls found to the north (although there are some pretty amazing walls in the San Juan Islands) what we have is very accessible diving full of fascinating animals. Giant Pacific Octopuses can be found within eyeshot of the downtown skyline. Grunt sculpins and Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers have to be some of the strangest creatures anywhere.

38558c20.jpg

225105_10150184533909216_710899215_6709310_3326808_n.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

(This photo courtesy my friend Bob Bailey)

And nobody has yet mentioned the spectacular diving off Southern California. The kelp forests, the Garibaldis, the otherworldly architecture of the oil rigs, the sea lions . . . oh, the sea lions!

391848_10151160857720440_800055439_22620805_1056003581_n.jpg

(photo courtesy my friend Warren Lo)

Chica-in-the-green-water-11.jpg

Dett-Zoom-_2.jpg

(photos by my friend Ken Kopp)

And don't forget, when we are talking about the Americas, the cenotes of the Yucatan:

tajmahal37_std.jpg

(image by my friend Scott Boyd)

On my personal bucket list is a return trip to Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

It is the only resort that is on the Great Barrier Reef. You can walk out on the beach at low tide and see the coral. It is where I took my intro to scuba dive and it was spectacular! Large formations coral, occasional cuttle fish, big anemones with clown fish, and one huge turtle. All in a 40 min dive, not bad for very first time ever! You can go in the spring as well and see the turtle hatchlings.

As long as I'm there a live aboard trip to Northern Great Barrier Reef would also be on the list. I want to swim with the Minke whales.

That's a bit of a stretch for North and South America though :wink:

Hi, I live and work in the Florida Keys. I have dove the Duane, the Bib and Spiegel Grove shipwrecks. Those are on the deep side of Molasses Reef. They are great dives. The Christ statue of the Deep is nice too. I also work at Jules' Undersea Lodge the only underwater lodge in the world and we get a lot of Bucket List guest. It is a completely different underwater experience. I dove in the Virgin Islands too but, I did not like it too well. Maybe just where I was. In any case....enjoy where your list takes you and have fun.

Teresa McKinna

Back
Top Bottom