Building an O2 analyzer, anyone else need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much closer does it get you? I round up to next full % up anyways.

Small little suggestion: If diving with Nitrox / oxygen you never round up! Nitrogen is the controlling factor in NDL's, DECO etc. Not Oxygen.

Small little suggestion: If diving with Nitrox / oxygen you never round up! Nitrogen is the controlling factor in NDL's, DECO etc. Not Oxygen.

Isn't the round-up done to be conservative on your MOD?

We could have an interesting discussion (MOD vs NDL) about which of those is most limiting for a particular algorithm, but I think we should be able to agree that both are sufficiently conservative for recreational diving as to not make any difference

Small little suggestion: If diving with Nitrox / oxygen you never round up! Nitrogen is the controlling factor in NDL's, DECO etc. ......
You beat me to it :D

Isn't the round-up done to be conservative on your MOD?...
NO. Controlling factor is Nitrogen.
Also, some dive computers factor in an extra 1% of O2 in the OTOX algorithm.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Not to be a smartass but why? To give my money to a complete unknown.....a lot of risk. Do you have a way of hold funds in an area that is accessible by me (in escrow sort of) so that I can get my money back if the deal does not go as I expect?

Not to be a smartass, but do you never buy things online or something? :p

Also, we're talking about $20-40 here. You want escrow for $40? If people are that paranoid, they can use Paypal and eat the fees for peace of mind. I would even setup an eBay auction if they want to eat those fees too. Or they can spend $300 for an off-the-shelf one.

As for why a deposit, it's to weed out any wafflers. I'm trying to be a nice guy but I'm not putting up $110 without some minimum guarantee the guy won't change his mind and back out after I already bought it. If he does change his mind after putting up $20 it's easier to sell a $90 analyzer than a $110 one.

Last edited:
Not to be a smartass but why? To give my money to a complete unknown.....a lot of risk. Do you have a way of hold funds in an area that is accessible by me (in escrow sort of) so that I can get my money back if the deal does not go as I expect?

Maybe he's just trying to be a nice guy and get extra experience. There's a guy on here named Andrew that does this with canister lights and I for one am very, very, very grateful that he does.

Interesting point. Was taught in nitrox class to round up for MOD.

How much extra 'fake' BT would 1% up give? I'll have to do some calcs.

If small, I guess if diving conservatively and not pushing NDL limits, NDL is perhaps less of a worry compared to MOD?

I can always deco if I have gas. I can't always recover from an O2 seizure.

Not to be a smartass, but do you never buy things online or something? :p

Also, we're talking about $20-40 here. You want escrow for $40? If people are that paranoid, they can use Paypal and eat the fees for peace of mind. I would even setup an eBay auction if they want to eat those fees too. Or they can spend $300 for an off-the-shelf one.

As for why a deposit, it's to weed out any wafflers. I'm trying to be a nice guy but I'm not putting up $110 without some minimum guarantee the guy won't change his mind and back out after I already bought it. If he does change his mind after putting up $20, it's easier to sell a $90 analyzer than a $110 one.

Actually I spend lots of money online.....and it usually goes to businesses that have proven track records. I for one get very leery of anybody that offers to take my money but is unwilling to offer anything other than "Hey, I am a nice guy" for collateral.

I did however purchase 2 pcs of a "Home Made" goodman handle from 00wabbit00 here on the board. How did he offer to do this that is different? He offered to use one of those start-up sites that collects money for projects that people can donate to but (turns our he set it up wrong but at that point he had proven himself to most).....you have offered nothing yet get awfully defensive when questioned. He spent what seemed like months going over details up front seeking input and showing his designs before asking for money. This led to him gaining what I would call credibility. You just want money and seem unwilling to offer any guarantee. You had (and still do have) an opportunity to see that while you think you are being a really nice guy (and likely are), what you are presenting does pose some risk to other people's money. Take this opportunity to see about ways to mitigate that risk. Don't fly off the handle on the people that raise the issue.

Just food for thought.

Actually I spend lots of money online.....and it usually goes to businesses that have proven track records. I for one get very leery of anybody that offers to take my money but is unwilling to offer anything other than "Hey, I am a nice guy" for collateral.

I did however purchase 2 pcs of a "Home Made" goodman handle from 00wabbit00 here on the board. How did he offer to do this that is different? He offered to use one of those start-up sites that collects money for projects that people can donate to but (turns our he set it up wrong but at that point he had proven himself to most).....you have offered nothing yet get awfully defensive when questioned. He spent what seemed like months going over details up front seeking input and showing his designs before asking for money. This led to him gaining what I would call credibility. You just want money and seem unwilling to offer any guarantee. You had (and still do have) an opportunity to see that while you think you are being a really nice guy (and likely are), what you are presenting does pose some risk to other people's money. Take this opportunity to see about ways to mitigate that risk. Don't fly off the handle on the people that raise the issue.

Just food for thought.

I didn't fly off. I put a smiley. :p

The only guarantee, which I thought was implied, is no DOA.

No offense, but as you said yourself, and based on your reactions in the 2400 light thread, you are a little more (emphasis more) skeptical and conservative with the whole online thing. That's cool man. To each their own. If you or others don't trust me yet, that's understandable. Maybe some people will, and after they get their analyzers without issue, the more skeptical will become less skeptical.

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2013 at 11:31 AM ----------

On a personal opinion note, your posts can come off as rather aggressive and accusatory in nature. You advise me to not 'go off' when questioned but I would advise you the same when questioning. Your post is certainly thorough and I can see it is thought out (not a rant). I can understand how you might feel that that is a more reasonable/credible/logical approach, but as someone who is socially odd at times myself, logical/reasonable is not always what people are expecting. Keep it simple, more is not always better.

tl;dr -

I don't take offense at your skeptical nature and if you want an analyzer, I will offer you one for no upfront costs. I'm just trying to be helpful here, really.

Last edited:
I'm interested but I really think what I need first is a CO sensor. I'm still not convinced that O2 is a concern for my situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom