Building a under water diving platform

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do you mean to stand on the sea bed and be able to support divers? if so how far above the sea bed and how many divers

Did it look like it was holding up good? And how big would you say it was?
It had been there for years and seemed to be holding up. That was a smaller one, maybe 10 feet x 10 feet?

What are your planning on doing with your platform? I can't imagine this doing anything but tipping over.
I would use each section to make one big platform.

do you mean to stand on the sea bed and be able to support divers? if so how far above the sea bed and how many divers
So the point of the platform would be to give a solid area to practice skills with out silting up the bottom. I feel like 24in would be the

I would use each section to make one big platform.
That gets expensive real fast. Also if the bottom shelf is part of the structure, you would need a completely flat bottom.

I'd use Trace or Tracey's options. Or combine them if you want the platform higher by sliding longer PVC legs over the trampoline legs. You could also do this to accommodate a sloping bottom.

So the point of the platform would be to give a solid area to practice skills with out silting up the bottom.
The most important skill is having sufficient buoyancy and trim control to avoid silting the bottom. IMO, you'd be better off marking a practice area than building a platform. To mark the area all you need are a few cement blocks with small floats tied on with about 3' of line. Here's some floats to give you an idea:
amazon - 6"x3" yellow float 2-pack $13

Stockton Lake has a platform made of a cattle panel and angle iron. Has been there for years.
PICT0034.JPG
PICT0030.JPG

DW

I don't see the need for a covered deck. The Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, NM, just floats a PVC frame at safety stop depth from buoys. It is made from 8-10" pipe and you can just throw an arm over it to hold position or free float next to it and use it for depth reference.
Blue_Hole_-_New_Mexico.jpg

Agree with the floating PVC frame. No need to have anything setting on the bottom. You also don't need anything with a solid floor since you should not be kneeling/resting on anything anyway if you are working on buoyancy and trim. Or any other skills for that matter. Just something to maybe rest an arm or hand/finger on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom