Building a Save a Dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're an individual diver (not a DM who is trying to support other divers with dodgy gear) and your gear is serviced and has been on a dive or two since being serviced (or since new)... then you shouldn't need anything except maybe some o-rings for the valve-to-regulator connection.

If I'm going to a really remote area with no LDS I'll bring an extra wing, an extra stage bottle regulator, an extra mask, and some wrenches.

If I think that there's any chance that a hose will fail, I just replace it. If the battery in my DC is more than a year old, I just replace it. I replace the power inflator on my BC every couple of years, they're cheap. Heel straps (when I dove open heel fins), replace at the first sign of any wear. Foot pockets on full-foot fins, same.

If you're an individual diver (not a DM who is trying to support other divers with dodgy gear) and your gear is serviced and has been on a dive or two since being serviced (or since new)... then you shouldn't need anything except maybe some o-rings for the valve-to-regulator connection.

If I'm going to a really remote area with no LDS I'll bring an extra wing, an extra stage bottle regulator, an extra mask, and some wrenches.

If I think that there's any chance that a hose will fail, I just replace it. If the battery in my DC is more than a year old, I just replace it. I replace the power inflator on my BC every couple of years, they're cheap. Heel straps (when I dove open heel fins), replace at the first sign of any wear. Foot pockets on full-foot fins, same.
I agree with the general idea of maintaining your equipment, and that prevention is better than cure ... especially when a problem underwater is a big problem.

Out of all my dives, only a tiny percentage had any surface support with tools or other equipment, and there's only been one dive where I "needed" anything from my save-a-dive kit. Otherwise, personally, it's a lot of nice-to-haves, which improve the quality of a dive or let me tweak things. I have however saved dives for other divers semi-frequently. On a few occasions, those divers had spent hundreds of dollars, uses limited vacation time, and driven hours to be there.

Some basic tools, o-rings, zip-ties, and about 3ft of bungee is what I'd recommend at a minimum for most divers. It takes up little space, is inexpensive, and can handle the majority of common issues.

Back
Top Bottom