Building a Save a Dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My kit:
  • Basic Tools
    • adjustable wrench
    • flat & phillips screwdrivers
    • o-ring pick
    • scuba multi-tool(s) - the XS Scuba Star Multitool is amazing.
    • generic multi-tool
    • needle-nose pliers
    • small tape measure
    • knife or scissors
    • lighter / mini-torch
  • Basic Supplies
    • o-rings of all the right sizes: Scuba Diving O-Rings - The Scuba Doctor
    • silicon grease
    • zip-ties
    • extra bungee cord & paracord (~5ft each)
    • one-wrap velcro (~2ft)
    • spare batteries for all computers, lights, and other electronics. (and tools for replacing batteries, if needed)
    • compact sewing kit
    • super-glue
    • waterproof electrical tape
    • bike-tire, which can be cut to use as rubber-bands, webbing-retainers, flashlight holders, etc. About 4 inches worth.
    • high-pressure / SPG spool
  • Spare
    • Spare triglide, d-ring, bolt-snaps, 2-inch buckle
    • SS Key rings
    • Spare 1st stage HP & LP port plugs
    • Regulator mouthpiece
    • spare dive slate/notes pencil
  • Redundant Dive Equipment
    • 4x 1lbs weights (or more)
    • Spare regulator set (I bought used & serviced them)
    • cheap work gloves from hardware store - as spare dive-gloves in a pinch
    • spare hoses - LP regulator hose, LP BCD-hose or adapter, and HP-hose.
    • Yoke adapter for Din Regulators. Din-to-Yoke tank adapter (a.k.a. "pro" valve adapter).
    • Tank pressure gauge
    • Spare dive-spool
    • Car tire-inflator, air-gun nozzle, inner-tube inflator - which fit the LP hose
    • Spare dive-light
    • Spare compass
    • Spare dive cutting-tool. "Trauma scissors" work great & are cheap.
  • Other
    • First aid kit
    • Sun-screen
    • Alcohol (for cleaning)
    • zip-lock bags
    • wetsuit cement
    • extra backplate bolts
    • Dive-certification copy
    • Emergency-cash
  • Bonus
    • IP Gauge
    • Spare mask/fin straps (or learn how to DIY from zip-ties or paracord.
    • in-line regulator adjustment tool
    • small microfiber towel(s)
    • extra webbing
Believe it or not, all of that (except the regulators & hoses) fits super-compact in a relatively small tool-bag.
If we were diving together we could start a small dive shop. :)

I had a leaking inflator on a liveaboard once. I suppose it might have been possible to take apart the old one, but I just swapped it out for a generic one from Dive Gear Express. I found a small hole in the internal bladder on a doubles wing once in Mexico, but piece of duct tape held it until I could replace it when I got home.

There were many good suggestions on this thread; though, a decent IP gauge was, surprisingly only mentioned once; and only as a "bonus" article in an otherwise very comprehensive list -- and they're absolutely invaluable. I would rather forego an inflator (I dove for years without them), or a number of other conveniences, before omitting that gauge.

When I worked dive boats as a kid, the number of ill-kempt regulators, just plucked from the back of a closet; just purchased from a flea market; or those which had just arrived back from the notorious, annual "underhaul," were legion. Many of not most, -- even those recently "serviced," -- had IP ranges, far out of specifications and were free-flowing from the get-go; and few, if any of the prospective divers, ever thought to check them at all, before putting out to sea, for a few days.

Add to this list, if not already mentioned, an assortment of HP and LP blind screws, in the event one has to remove, say, a malfunctioning second or a secondary gauge -- something which I was required to do, on occasion . . .

There were many good suggestions on this thread; though, a decent IP gauge was, surprisingly only mentioned once, only as a "bonus" article -- and they're absolutely invaluable.

When I worked dive boats as a kid, the number of ill-kempt regulators, plucked from the back of a closet, from the previous year; just purchased from a flea market; or those which had just arrived back from the notorious, annual "underhaul," were legion. Most had IP ranges. far out of specifications and were free-flowing from the get-go; and few, if any of the prospective divers, ever thought to check them at all, before putting going out to sea, for a few days.

Add to this list, if not already mentioned, an assortment of HP and LP blind screws, in the event one has to remove, say, a malfunctioning second or a secondary gauge -- something which I was required to do, on occasion . . .
It's small and inexpensive, so absolutely goes in my save-a-dive kit. I only put it in the "bonus" category, because it's not super-useful until you know how to use it, and what it means. (and likely already have one)

For "HP and LP blind screws" I used the name "Spare 1st stage HP & LP port plugs." Spare 1/2 in ones too, if you have any 1/2 in ports.

Hidden in one of the earlier posts but not called out - duct tape. I used it for many field repairs or to write my deco plan and tape it to my fin. Left is the plan, right is the “lost gas” schedule

Hidden in one of the earlier posts but not called out - duct tape. I used it for many field repairs or to write my deco plan and tape it to my fin. Left is the plan, right is the “lost gas” schedule

Very cool idea...

a sense of humor and gratitude that your "problem" is on the surface rather than at depth.View attachment 670397
I like it.
Mine is a little rude:
20210712_143321.jpg
20210712_143704.jpg

Nice, that's a solid kit! A couple small suggestions:
  • To fit a little more junk in the oh-sh!t trunk, remove the hose from the 2nd stage reg & then loop the LP hose a couple time & secure with zip-ties.
  • An o-ring kit with o-ring pick is fairly vital for save-a-dive kits & I don't see any in the picture.

I have to travel to dive.
I would expect all dive operators would have more tools than I ever needed. So a "save a dive kit" is the complete service kits for my Apeks reg. And if I am going to use rental then nothing at all.

Nice, that's a solid kit! A couple small suggestions:
  • To fit a little more junk in the oh-sh!t trunk, remove the hose from the 2nd stage reg & then loop the LP hose a couple time & secure with zip-ties.
  • An o-ring kit with o-ring pick is fairly vital for save-a-dive kits & I don't see any in the picture.
O rings are in a plastic bag in the photo and pick was missing, well spotted, forgot to return it.
2nd stage I put in my carry on bag [boat diving] and the hose stays in the box [showing off putting it in the box].
Thanks, must check it more often.
20210713_154922.jpg
20210713_155129.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom