budget hotel in ambergris caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swell

New
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for budget accommodations ($60-100) for a 2-bedroom condo/hotel/cabana in or near San Pedro. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks.
also, anyone have experience with lily's paradise resort, or hotel del rio?

Most 2 bedrooms on Ambergris are in the 195-295 range I dont know of any budget condos but there are however lots of hotels that willfit your range for a room Lilys is VERY budget but popular Hotel Del rio would not be my first choice, probably paradise resort would be the one I pick however it is old and need refurbishing.

Realistically for a nice room your looking at $60 a night plus tax so for 2 rooms your looking at $120-125 a night which is doable.

Do you want to be in town or are you open to being out of town ???? also when are you planning on coming ??? this can also affect the price.

other places to look at should be

Banana Beach Resort (they have $60 rooms and its very nice)
Sunbreeze (depending on time you are coming)

Hell check with me if I have availability I can hook you up as a Scubaboard member (i am out of town though and like it that way plus I am not considered a budget hotel but I will work with you.

Also rubies is one of the most popular budget hotels on the island and they are on the beach but books very quickly.

check out www.AmbergrisCaye.com and click on the lodging section which has hotels broken down into luxury mid priced and budget.

If you need any thing else dont hesitate to ask

Dive Safe

Gaz Cooper

...I'll be in ambergris in the middle of march, probably the 15-20th. I'd like walking distance to town, or in town. I'm with a couple in their 60's, both very active, my point just being they don't want to be in a "party resort". Relatively quiet and relaxing digs would be their choice. The 2nd bedroom is for me, and I'd crash on a pull-out couch just as happily as in my own room.

I just spent 9 nights at Banana Beach. We had a 1 bedroom unit. It is more like a junior suite because there is no door between the two rooms. However, the place is very clean and everything was in good shape. I think it was about $105 per night, but that was high season (and holiday premium for the first three days averaged in to the total rate). It is walking distance to San Pedro, perhaps a bit over a mile. I don't know exactly but I did it every evening with bare feet on the beach, so it can't be too far. If you get tired a taxi will take you back from town for US$5.

On AC check out:

Protech Belize for diving.
Monkey Bites for a quick value priced lunch in Exotic Caye near the Belize Yacht Club.
Crazy Cannucks for a very cheap happy hour (at Exotic Caye)
Caramba's on middle street for dinner, the owner is a really nice local guy.
BC's for a couple of drinls with the local Expats.

I just love that town. It could rain all day and the water could be rough and I would still love it. Lots of nurse sharks and big grouper on the dives.

Just returned from 10 days on Ambergris Caye and fell in love with the area. We stayed at Ramons in a beach front cabanna and dove with them 2 or 3 times a day.
Liked it very much, quiet, clean and very friendly, but will check out Mary Hawthorne at Cayemanagement.com for next year. From what I understand she is the go to lady for rentals.

San Pedro is one of the better places i have been. I love it. dont remember the name of the hotel i was, it was next to Ramons. but what i remember is that the dive operator was who contacted me with the place. It was cheap, but very basic. they charge you per person, but it was really nice, and has his own dock in front, so for diving you just have to walk a few meters to meet your dive-boat. amazing.
good luck..

Have you considered Caye Caulker, just south of Ambergris? It's very inexpensive. Smaller, less night-life but same dive and tours.

Just returned from Belize and spent a week on Caye Caulker. Had a nice place to stay there (Romie & Jim's guesthouse) for a mere $12.50 US a night (shared bath). It was better than the hotel I stayed in in Miami on my return! Nice people at the guesthouse on Caulker. Unfortunately it was blowing hard while I was there so we couldn't dive outside the barrier reef.

Dr. Bill

DrBill,

Glad you made it back. How was the trip?

Regards,

Hi Dr. Bill. Thinking about heading to Belize next Saturday and would appreciate any advice about dive outfits, etc. Caye Caulker sounded more laid back and more affordable than Ambergis. Was wondering, who did you dive with and what was the diving like?
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom