Waisai in Raja Ampat questions and accommodations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alice Goot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good day,
We will be boarding a LOB from Sorong early April and are thinking about doing a land extension pre-cruise. Does anyone have experience with Waisai? The reason we are looking at Waisai is because they have daily ferry transport from/to Sorong. I see there are many more homestays, dive shops and resorts than there were back in 2017, when I was last in the Dampier Strait. Is there anything to do? Restaurants/warungs to eat at off property? Budget to mid-price accommodation recommendations? I know the dive sites may be a bit far, but we are NOT looking at it as a dive destination, probably just do a 1-2 tank for the 4 nights we are planning to stay. Any other suggestions about where we can relax for a few nights, in that area, before the cruise would be most helpful. We looked at Papua Paradise, but they are sold out.

I just looked at airfare and expedia shows Hahn Air technologies (operated by Lion) flies to Waisai, but when I go directly to the Lion Air website I do not see any options. Any idea of airline schedules to Waisai?

Please share your knowledge.

I found Waisai to be more interesting than Sorong, but still not a town I would make a special effort to visit.

I spent 2-3 nights at Meridian Adventure Dive in November, 2022. I recommend it if you need to stay in Waisai. Pros: food is edible, facility is clean & modern, dive operation is excellent, pool is nice, bar is nice, staff is great. Cons: no beach, no view, not a whole lot to do except sit around the pool (and dive, of course).

Attached are two photos I took in the Meridian lobby. This should help you find things to do. I hear the Blue River excursion is fun. The Birds of Paradise viewing can be hit-or-miss. Sometimes the birds don't show up.

I would be surprised if there were off-property restaurants or warungs that are worth visiting. Meridian's restaurant is probably the best around. Waisai is not like Cozumel; there aren't interesting places to eat on every corner.

My guess is flying to Sorong and taking the ferry is the best bet. I know Waisai technically has an airport, but I've never heard of anyone using it.

Bluewater Dive Travel has a list of Raja Ampat resorts. I believe Sorido Bay and Kri Eco have the best reputations. Friends of mine liked the Biodiversity Eco Resort. I have a good impression of Raja4Divers and would check them out myself for a future visit. I have also stayed at the Raja Ampat Dive Lodge. None of these I just mentioned is near Waisai though.

Dive Into Raja Ampat is sorta close to Waisai and is probably worth researching some more.

Attachments

• Waisai_map.jpg
    Waisai_map.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Waisai_activities.jpg
    Waisai_activities.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 45
I should emphasize that if you need to stay in Waisai, then Meridian is a good choice. I recommend staying away from Waisai though. I personally want a beach and a view.

Waisai suffered from smoke from burning trash when I was there. I wonder if this is common.

Many resorts such as Biodiversity will bring you to Waisai harbor for your liveaboard. You probably don't need to go back to Sorong first. Definitely confirm this with whatever resort you select though.

Back
Top Bottom