Budget accommodation for popular diving spots in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highgear

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all, I am in the middle of planning a trip for about 1 month to the Philippines. I'll be arriving around mid-March. I am mainly interested in diving while I am there, but I'll definitely be checking out some non-diving spots as well. It seems like the non-diving spots all have pretty cheap rooms so no trouble there.

While researching where I'd like to go, it seems like there is very little to no budget accommodation available in many places (at least in the LP guidebook). I'm hoping to be spending no more than 500 pesos per night for a single room, and preferably less. I don't mind sleeping in dorms or the most basic accommodation available (fan, shared bathroom, etc.).

If anyone has been to any of the following places somewhat recently and has a recommendation for a budget place I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's my tentative list of spots for diving:

Subic Bay
Donsol - dive manta bowl, i know only snorkeling w/ the whale sharks
Padre Burgos
Malapascua
Moalboal
Dumaguete - seems to have plenty of budget accom - still would love a rec though
Alona Beach

Anywhere else that I'm missing that you think I should add on? I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Also, I wanted to say how great this forum is and how much it has helped me out in the past planning dive trips. Lots of useful info and helpful members on here! :D

Lelephant bleu restaurant has two cheap rooms in alona beach.
Lodging
lodging-20642.jpg

cheap place to stay at alona beach is citadel alona inn in tawala about
5 minutes walk from the beach tel no is 038 5029424 also have kitchen
facilities. in moalboal eves kiosk dive resort has some buget rooms.
tel no is 032 4740350. in dumaguete harolds mansion is a good cheap
place with acheap restaurant they also do a great deal on diving.if you
go to apo island some families rent out rooms . accomodation at pardre
burgos is not that cheap an alternative is to stay in maasin about 30
minutes jeepney ride away there a number of pension houses and cheap
restaurants.

Johan in Subic has budget room for P700.00 per night.
Peter's has P400.00 per night dorm room in Padres Burgos.

In Malapascua you can find rooms for P400 or P500. But it can often be hard to get in touch with them prior to arrival if you want to confirm a booking. They deal mostly with people who show up on the spot.

Bebe's lodging house is quite popular. It's near the Barrio area 'downtown'
Mr Quikz is one that many of our guests stay in and is conveniently located just behind Evolution dive shop and 120m from the beach.

There are not any dorm areas that I know of, but you can always try bargaining with these places to get a better price if the area is not busy.

hth

Matt.

In Dumaguete I highly recommend Harolds Mansion, I just came from there a few days ago..its a hostel with lots of travelers and a fun atmosphere, especially the Wednesday night BBQ on the roof. Dorms were 350p, single room with aircon was 650p. Harold arranges dive trips to Apo Island and Dauin for super cheap, I did 3 dives at Apo for 2700p (just over $60 one hell of a deal) with my own equipment, it was 3000p with rental gear.

Also another good cheap spot I just visited was Driftwood Village at Sugar Beach near Sipalay on Negros, about 3-4 hours from Dumaguete, its a backpackers beach resort with simple bungalows or dorms with great food and an awesome beach bar. We stayed in a bungalow with fan and shared bathroom for 450p, dorms were less. Diving was available at nearby resort but it was pricey at 2700p for 2 dives, so I skipped it. Total stay for 4 nights with food and LOTS of beers was less than $25 a day.

I just left Moalboal this morning. Stayed at Sunshine Pension House for 800p - double with fan. The Moalboal Backpackers Lodge had dorms for 400p. If you stay away from the bigger dive ops you can find really good deals on diving. I did 5 dives with Cebu Dive Center for 4275p with FREE nitrox, they are a small quiet shop but their customer service is awesome. On my first day at Pescador I had a my own DM and the whole boat to myself, while the other boats had at least 8-12 divers on them. Another cheap option is Nelsons - 1 dive was 800p.

At Alona Beach check out Alona Divers..did 3 dives with them at Balicasag for 3000p, another small and quiet shop. I was there for Chinese New Years/Valentines Day so accom prices were higher than normal.

I am currently doing to semi-cheap backpacking/diving thing in the Philippines and can recommend some places I've found recently (been to Cabilao, Alona Beach, Dumaguete, Moalboal, and on the way to Coron in a few days and will be coming back to dive Anilao and PG in May after a stint in Indonesia).

You are in for a good time as I have certainly been enjoying my trip so far!

I highly recommend Coral Bay Beach club. The closest Dive resort to 10 Japanese WWII wrecks.

Subic Bay - there is a wide variety of accomodation available at budget prices. In the Barreto area, there are plenty of expat run B&Bs that offer budget prices (if you can stand the noise from the bars). Otherwise, in the SBMA area, you have the option on hotels - a little more expensive (1-1500php per night), but quieter.

If you let me know your schedule, I'd be happy to help with your Manila-Subic arrangements. :)

Wow thanks so much for the replies everyone. I didn't expect to get so much info so quickly. What did you think of Cabilao Chaz?

Any places you have been that it looks like I'm missing?

Keep the recommendations coming!

Also, I'm sending you a PM Devon.

Chaztheman ....thanks for the kind words and we are pleased that you appreciated our service!

HiGear,

For Moalboal:

We have partnered with a budget accommodation called Backpacker Lodge... see there website Backpacker Lodge, Moalboal, Cebu, Philippines and we offer combined dive and accommodation packages...and YES we offer free NITROX!

We can facilitate all your reservations to save you the hassle and time.

If you need any assistance please feel free to contact us.

Cheers

Carl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom