Buddy System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the OP, it actually took 15 mins to find my buddy;
- we were diving a shore entry and were the only 2 in the water.
- conditions had deteriorated during our dive and it took me 10 mins to move to safety from where I surfaced (I had 5ft waves breaking over the reef onto me, pinning me to a rock outcrop or plunging me under).
- we couldn't find each other on the surface until I had put my SMB up.
- the site is usually rated easy and a good place for beginners to gain experience.

Within one minute, all available divers (you, and only you in this case) were searching for your buddy. I didn't say it would only take 4 minutes to find somebody in trouble, but, if the buddy system is being followed, it would take no more than 4 minutes for all available divers to be looking for the person who is in trouble.

there are only 2 types of buddy.

those that cast you a quick glance every 30 seconds or so and those that dont.

its just a slight head movement usually.
no need for signals or anything-just a glance.

Exactly. I really am not as concerned about how refined my buddie's skills are as I am about whether he gives a rats behind about what happens to me.

Divers should be informed and do what they are comfortable with. All I am saying is I see sooo many threads about people having buddies that completely let them down. Atleast with solo diving you know what you are dealing with.

Unfortunately many people who solo dive don't know what they're dealing with ... they're just trusting that they do.

The same is true for buddy diving ... if you're having problems diving with a buddy it's because one or both of you don't really understand what diving with a buddy involves ... and therefore the system doesn't work well for you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post Merged at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Bob I agree, when applied properly the buddy system is a key component of scuba safety. (I say this even though I sport a solo diving C card and do use it from time to time).

Astonishingly, my buddy and I managed to lose each other a few weeks ago even though we were in 20 ft vis and remaining within touching distance. Basically we were moving around a large rock at about 30ft depth. A freak surge hit us and we got pushed to opposite sides of the rock. My buddy was now in current and I wasn't. Met again at the surface about 15 mins later. It should be rare to lose your buddy, but It can happen even with the best of buddy skills and you need to know how to deal with it.

For the OP, it actually took 15 mins to find my buddy;
- we were diving a shore entry and were the only 2 in the water.
- conditions had deteriorated during our dive and it took me 10 mins to move to safety from where I surfaced (I had 5ft waves breaking over the reef onto me, pinning me to a rock outcrop or plunging me under).
- we couldn't find each other on the surface until I had put my SMB up.
- the site is usually rated easy and a good place for beginners to gain experience.

Basically the minute on the surface to find your buddy should work, but in reality my buddy (instructor rated) and I needed 15 minutes. Afterwards we agreed that it had been a freak event. We also rated this as the scariest moment in each of our diving careers.

Yes, it's scenario dependent ... and this is a rather unusual scenario. I've been in a similar situation ... and was separated from my buddy for several minutes before reuniting with him on the surface. It was a very stressful several minutes. But it was in heavy current and we weren't going to reunite until we surfaced. I had to trust him to do the right thing ... which he did ... and it all worked out.

But the point is that the buddy system worked for us ... even though the situation didn't. You can't predict what nature will throw your way ... but you should be able to predict how both you and your buddy will deal with it. And if you can, then you've minimized the risks ... you'll never completely eliminate them, though. Buddy diving is all about minimizing risks through predictable behavior. If you cannot predict how you or your buddy will respond to an unforeseen circumstance, then you're not really buddy diving at all ... you're just diving in the vicinity of another person.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

there are only 2 types of buddy.

those that cast you a quick glance every 30 seconds or so and those that dont.

its just a slight head movement usually.
no need for signals or anything-just a glance.

I have to disagree. A diver who happens to have entered the water with you is not a dive buddy if (s)he is oblivious to you or the dive profile and does not maintain proximity and awareness of where you are. It's a 2 way street. A dive buddy should know where there buddy is at all times. In limited vis, 30 seconds of zoning out will result in buddy separation. A dive buddy should be close enough to be aware of and respond to an emergency, including air depletion, entanglement, equipment malfunction, animal attack, or medical emergency from some other source, like an accidental cut, a heart attack, or other issue. That's why I like to dive with my #1 buddy and wife Debbie. She has the same view. My back up dive buddy Charlie is almost as good. If I have to buddy up with someone else- well, I've written on that issue enough- read my blog. As to solo diving as a solution, it is, but an imperfect one. It is also not for everyone, especially new divers with limited experience. If dive buddies take time to get acquainted before the dive, and share information about each other, expectations and plans for the dive, and establish an agreement as to proximity and awareness, there should NEVER, or very rarely, be buddy separation. If you don't agree, then you are essentially diving solo already. There, after that little rant, I feel much better.
DivemasterDennis

On a dive charter, my insta buddy told me I really didn't need to go over all those procedures and practices as he was ALMOST a dive master and had over 70 dives. That immediately put me on watch, and sure enough, we did the safety stop on my tank, after I slowed his ascent so he didn't hurt himself. Buddies can be great or nightmares, doesn't condemn the system, and is your best option if you aren't properly trained or have the proper equipment to dive solo.

It is just my opinion but one should master the buddy system before moving on into solo activities or even consider them.
A pre-dive brief / plan on a boat with a new buddy is not an option for me but a must IF I am going to be diving with you.
Buddy separation happens due to lack of awareness, which is a result of not enough experience / training / time in the water / or a environment issue { currents, visibility,etc.}.
Happens frequently should not result in an incident when rules are followed BUT remember diving is not without risk and EVERY diver should evaluate the conditions before getting in the water.

Calling a dive due to conditions or not feeling well is never a bad thing.
I have done just that due to a variety of things but at times pushed through some it just depends on your awareness of what your body is telling you!
Somedays a dive might be fine while others it is out of the question!
Some currents are just plain tough and to end a dive before it began is better that risking you or your buddies safety.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

To me, rather than some specific skills, being a buddy means you are doing a dive "together". Planning, prep, & diving. If you are just following someone else, far apart and/or looking at different things you really aren't doing the same dive.
It means giving something up, individuality, in order to gain something, mutual aid/experience. Most people I think pay lip surface to the value of the buddy system and may be well meaning but either consciously/unconsciously don't want to revoke their right to individuality.

The only thing better than a dive buddy is two dive buddies. One watches two, two watches three, and three watches one.

Three person teams are great for certain types of dives ... not so hot for others ... and a terrible idea if one or more people on the team aren't committed to maintaining team cohesion. However you do it, keeping a three-person team together requires a bit more awareness and cooperation than a two-person team. It's not hard ... but it's like driving ... the more cars on the road, the more important it becomes for everyone to understand and stick to the "rules" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sure, there are horrible buddies, and sometimes with a horrible buddy, it's like diving solo.

I'd disagree with that, diving with a bad buddy is worse than diving solo. When you go solo, you assume you have to rely on yourself and so you plan your actions accordingly. With a bad buddy, however, you expect a person to do certain things, and if they don't do those, you will be in a worse position than if you would have assumed you are alone.

Think of an OOA situation -- if you expect your buddy to share and he is nowhere to be found, you will spend time looking for him/her whereas otherwise you might go for controlled emergency ascend ...

I have heard so many people say that a buddy team of 3 is a really bad idea. I say it depends on who the 3 are! If you can't be a good buddy to 1 you certainly can't be a good buddy to two! It is the amount of commitment the buddies have that determines if they can be good buddies.

Back
Top Bottom