Buddy skipped safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBASailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went on a dive with a new acquaintance yesterday. It was the first dive of the day. We spent 25 minutes down with a max depth of 60 feet. He was breathing air, and I was breathing EAN32. The dive went normally, and the ascent went normally until we got to the safety stop, or I should call it non-stop. He was leading up the rope, and didn't do a safety stop at all.

I stopped at 15 feet, and waited, thinking he would realize his mistake and look back. He never looked back and went straight for the boat. After about a minute at 15 feet, I decided that it was a clean dive, so rather than have them worry about me, I ended my safety stop early.

Once aboard the boat, I asked him why he didn't do a safety stop, and he said that his (very, very old) dive computer told him he was good to go, so it never occurred to him to stop! We had done a pre-dive plan, but honestly, it never occurred to me to tell him that I wanted to do a safety stop. I just assumed EVERYBODY knows that.

Now I know better!

Not that it is a good habit, but I hardly ever do safety stops. This is because I am normally shore diving with a max depth of 34'. Diving off a boat with a line I have always done so however.

I should also note that a you were well within the no deco limits so there really is not much reason to worry in this particular instance.

I find that a new buddies ability to follow a pre-set dive plan has a huge influence on whether I will dive with them again.
Although your buddy will probably get away with blowing off safety stops, his/her ability to follow a plan may one day cause other more serious issues.

I find that a new buddies ability to follow a pre-set dive plan has a huge influence on whether I will dive with them again.
Although your buddy will probably get away with blowing off safety stops, his/her ability to follow a plan may one day cause other more serious issues.

According to the OP, the safety stop was not part of the plan: "it never occurred to me to tell him that I wanted to do a safety stop. I just assumed EVERYBODY knows that."

SCUBASailor, like fnfalman said, safety stops are not required. They add an additional level of safety but they can be skipped.

I think it is good practise to do a safety stop and I will do one on most dives. However, if staying in the water is less safe than doing a safety stop, I'll skip the safety stop. For example, if I'm shivering I'll skip the safety stop. If I or my buddy are low on air I'll skip the safety stop.

There are two things to be concerned about with your buddy. The first is that he is trusting his computer. Does he trust it blindly? I know that 60 feet for 55 minutes is pressure group Z on my tables. So I would feel comfortable skipping a safety stop on a 25 minute dive to 60 feet. This is a subtle difference but it matters. You should never blindly trust your computer but it is okay if you know you are fine for the dive you did and the computer is just confirming that.

More importantly, your buddy left you. This is very serious. Your buddy should never leave you like that. You should also never leave your buddy. The fact that you abandoned your safety stop because you were worried your buddy might wonder where you are was the correct instinct. The fact he left and never looked back is just not right. I have seen people get into trouble during the descent and during the ascent when their buddy just left them behind. I'll have a chat with any buddy who takes off on me, especially if it is during the ascent or descent.

If you didn't discuss it ahead of time, then I don't think your buddy did anything "wrong". Safety stops are recommended, but not required (with a few peculiar exceptions, which don't apply in this case). This is a good example of things one might forget to talk over in a dive plan, though. And I agree that your buddy should have realized you weren't coming up with him, and waited -- but again, that's something to discuss beforehand. I assume that behavior, just as you assumed safety stops. But not everybody dives the same way.

According to the OP, the safety stop was not part of the plan: "it never occurred to me to tell him that I wanted to do a safety stop. I just assumed EVERYBODY knows that."

My bad, assuming is the very worst kind of dive plan

Sounds like a capital case to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom