Buddy Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre Maier

Reaction score
Hi,

what do you think about using a buddy reel (rope between
you and your buddy wearing a security harness) for every
dive? Do you think this could potentially help preventing
diving accidents or would it even provoke dangerous
situations? Please explain your opinion/experiences.
I'm looking for pros and cons, so don't hesitate to post
your opinion.

Thanks,

Andre

I keep a buddy line in my BC pocket all the time, but I rarely use it. I use it in low vis & sometimes pull it out to get out of the crowd on safety stops in current. I've also used it looped around a tank valve to tow divers. Would I use it on a regular basis as a buddy line in water with viz better than 6 feet? No way. There's no need to be tethered to your buddy. If you have a problem staying together in good viz, you need to work on buddy skills or perhaps get a new buddy.

Walter

I agree with Walter for the most part, with one exception. Try convincing my wife of that, Walter.:) She usually insists that we hold hands on dives together, regardless of vis. Is it a convidence thing? No, she just likes holding hands! I don't mind it that much, but it does it old and limit mobility. I hadn't considered a buddy line, I'll have to try that. She's a great buddy though, always follows me wherever I go, never lose her.:)

Warhammer

I would be very careful bringing this up with your S/O your liable to get slapped !! :)

I agree that in the vast majority of rec diving a 'leash' will be more dangerous than helpful.

One of my dive buddies is my 16 year old granddaughter. She loves the diving but we usually hold hands for the first few dives of the season, till she gains confidence. It is better for me too because I can relax and look around, knowing exactly where she is at all times.

Just my 2 cents,

Though I do admit that the leash could be useful in certain specific conditions, it's not for me. I don't like the idea at all, except to use on the surface when towing a diver in need.

Mario :D

Being not to experienced in scubadiving I havde been around and in the water since I was very young and one thing that I have come to understand is that wires and ropes always tend to get you into to trouble. My advice to you is don't use any more rope than what you need (or you might just end up hanging yourself), certain types of diving, reck or cave or heavy tide will make it's use avvisable or even mandatory but apart from those my opinion is the the rope will only get in the way of what is to be done.

Another thing is if you dive with someone you don't know to well, are you going to risk that if that person makes a mistake you are tied to her?

Originally posted by Remora
Warhammer

I would be very careful bringing this up with your S/O your liable to get slapped !! :)

Probably so, but it wouldn't be the first time. I love diving with her, but I also love diving alone for the freedom.

Hi all!

I think I should state the reason why I've posted this question:

Basically, our public safety rescue diving organization requires using a security line to the surface and buddy lines under water. This applies to all search and recovery operations, as well as to all training dives. So all rescue divers of my squad are generally using buddy lines whenever we go diving, even in diving sessions "just for fun".

Sometimes I go diving with recreational divers who don't like the buddy line. However, I did already some dives without buddy line, but in my opinion it's more comfortable to use one. You can just look around and enjoy the environment without watching your buddy throughout the dive. You can be sure to advise your buddy immediately in case of problems. Plus, you can be sure not to get lost if you e.g. become a victim of sudden cardiac arrest.

As most of you've written, it depends on the sight whether a buddy line can be useful or not. In the Lake Constance, there are very steep slopes and rock walls down to 300ft. Plus, in summer sight is often limited to the glasses of your mask. It's completely dark in 50ft. In 2000, we had two fatal diving accidents over here. Both bodies were found after some days of search operations. No doubt, if they wouldn't have been lost by their buddies, they could have had better chances in resuscitation. No matter what their initial problem was.

Thus I'm just interested in recreational diver's opinions. I'm planning to do some tests regarding the danger to get pulled up or down by the buddy in case of troubles.

Thanks for answering my questions, so far.

Happy new year!

Andre

Gotta agree with Walter. In nearly all cases I feel this presents more of a hazard than a safety factor, (sort of like tying your diveflag/buoy onto yourself!).
Norm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom