Buddy Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Andre!

All kidding aside. Food for thought. In the Cdn Military ships divers must be tethered. Clearance Divers do not ( even when not on hose gear). The logic is as you have explained; in conditions of low vis ships divers are able to search/work on the ship's hull and not worry about their buddy. For the Clearance divers it is relative to the nature of the work that they could be performing. Our national police force the RCMP (Can't figure out how the hat keeps it shape underwater :))as of today do not dive tethered ( as a norm) They have had a fatality recently (drug search on a hull) that could have been avoided if the dive team was tethered. There may be a resulting move afoot to a tethered requirement.
In the above cases these are professionals that work in water regardless of conditions. I would submit that unless absolutley necessary (extreme low vis)would rec divers want to adopt this practice. It would require training above the normal course structure (much like the ice spec) to become a viable aid rather than a hindrance/danger. I suppose if 6" vis is all the vis you have then a divers gotta do what a divers gotta do!

I personally carry a sissy line on every dive. It is about four feet long, yellow poly, with a gated snap swivel on one end and a suicide snap swivel on the other. Over the years it (and its ancestors) has found use as a lift line, a buddy line, a fish stringer, a reef hook, a tow line, a deco line, and other uses that don't come to mind right now. I have never, ever found this line to be a hazard in any way.
Rick

Originally posted by Warhammer
Try convincing my wife of that, Walter.:) She usually insists that we hold hands on dives together,

Should I be worried?
My inst also insisted on holding my hand.
I thought he went a little over board on the mouth to mouth demonstration as well.
Nice bloke though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom