Buddy Dive vs Den Laman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welp, the GF got shut down by work for the April week so I managed to scrape together a week in March (22nd-31st) while her boss is going to be out. I didn't want to push it to May because that's when motorcycle race season starts and I don't want to miss races if I don't have to. Flights in March were a bit more expensive but only $100 more so no biggie. Also a bonus is that the flights back on Saturday the 30th sucked so I get an extra day and coming back late Sunday. Work's not going to be fun Monday morning but that's a small price to pay.

I've booked the flights already so now I just need to find accommodations. Buddy Dive and Den Laman are both booked for that week so I'm thinking Sand Dollar. How is the breakfast at Breeze N Bites? Worth $15/pp per breakfast or would it be best to just wing it and try different places on the way to the dive spots? It looks like Voyager Bonaire has the best price on a rental truck...

about the "beach" at Buddy's - and most of Sand Dollar's except for the small piece at the south end of the property - they're 10-15' above the water and accessed by ladders in case the g/f wants to go for a swim. Habitat is similar IIRC but they might have one area that's beachfront.

Look carefully at the Buddy website overhead photo to see what I mean - see the ironshore at the waters edge. No beach to speak of at Den Laman either although Coco Beach Club is immediately south of it. I believe the owners at Sand Dollar frown on Den Laman guests using the small beach there as it's on their property - not Den Laman's. The reason Dive Friends constructed the locker shack/stairs is because they used to be managed by separate dive shops - now both are Dive Friends. They also boat dive from Den Laman's dock so that's a lot more convenient - used to be be you had to drive to one of the other DF shops to boat dive.

Harbor Village has a decent beach but a poor shore dive and it''s really pricey - likely the most expensive resort on island.

South of town the Plaza Resort has a decent beach - plus a nice pool but it's a sprawling resort and their shore dive and dive boats/shop are at opposite ends.

Maybe Eden Beach Resort is an option. Wannadive is their on-site operator, their shore dive is OK but Den Laman's is better and they terrace the beach to keep it in place. They converted their beach bar into Spice Beach club a few years ago - have not been there since. It's the resort just south of Coco Beach and Harbor Village is south of it.

There's very few actual beaches on Bonaire if you consider a beach something you can directly enter the water from. And a couple of those will have ironshore/cora rubble to contend with also so wear surf walkers..

Do you have to stay at Buddy Dive to be able to store your gear there overnight? What if we are only renting our gear from Buddy Dive.
Gear lockers only for guests staying at buddy dive resort. Lockers assigned during check at front desk

We are booked at the Sand Dollar and will be diving with DFB and maybe a day with East Coast Diving.

Another question for you guys, would anyone know of a decent photographer for rent on the island? Maybe one I could rent under the guise of a photography class session, then go on a dive with us and snap some pics of an underwater proposal?

Maybe one I could rent under the guise of a photography class session, then go on a dive with us and snap some pics of an underwater proposal?

:D Reviewing the signs for "yes" and "no" prior to a dive with a photographer may be a bit... telling.

Well he would only do either a class or pics, but not a class with some pics at the end. Any other photog options out there?

Well he would only do either a class or pics, but not a class with some pics at the end. Any other photog options out there?
Try to find Suzie Swygert, maybe goggle her and she may pop up. She maybe able to assist you.

No beach to speak of at Den Laman either although Coco Beach Club is immediately south of it. I believe the owners at Sand Dollar frown on Den Laman guests using the small beach there as it's on their property - not Den Laman's. The reason Dive Friends constructed the locker shack/stairs is because they used to be managed by separate dive shops - now both are Dive Friends. They also boat dive from Den Laman's dock so that's a lot more convenient - used to be be you had to drive to one of the other DF shops to boat dive.
There's very few actual beaches on Bonaire if you consider a beach something you can directly enter the water from. And a couple of those will have ironshore/cora rubble to contend with also so wear surf walkers..
A couple of comments. One, Den Laman appears to have made an effort to create a beach similar to that in front of Sand Dollar. Natural rubble and rocks have been removed from the shore and from the water. In addition, there is a lot more sand in front of Den Laman now. There were complaints this winter that it filtered in from the beach fronting the Front Porch dive site, and blew into the water from the hotel construction adjacent to Den Laman. I'm not sure I agree with that (although the wind certainly blows a lot of sand/soil into the water from that construction site) because there is so much new sand, perhaps it has been deliberately dumped there.

Two, the beach in front of Sand Dollar is not on Sand Dollar property. All beaches on Bonaire are open to the public, as is the one at Sand Dollar. However, the Sand Dollar beach is only accessible on foot through private property. Dive Friends now leases the dock and associated buildings from a business that owns and maintains the facilities for use by Sand Dollar and Den Laman owners and their guests/renters.

Back
Top Bottom