Buddy Dive vs Den Laman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this is beat to death but I've got it narrowed down to one of these for our first trip to Bonaire and wanted another opinion on a few things to help me choose.

Vehicles - sounds like the trucks from Avis might be in better condition vs the ones provided by Buddy?

Beach area - from the pictures it looks like the "beach" area around Buddy might win in that dept. The GF likes to relax by the water and read after diving. It appears that Buddy has a nice area to do so with loungers and shade. DL doesn't appear to have that? She doesn't like diving all day every day so I have to make sure she is happy...

Dive gear storage - looks like DL might have better/more secure gear storage lockers

Boat diving/Tanks - with more locations, I would think Dive Friends would make it more convenient for picking up tanks while shore diving. I swear I read somewhere that Buddy Dive boats often stop at a nearshore reef for the 2nd dive instead of staying at Klein or the Northern sites?

Breakfast - which one is better? Is there a beach bar at both place?

Thanks!
Nathan

My wife and I will be headed back to Bonaire, Den Laman and Dive Friends, for our 5th and 6th week in the last year and a half, in April. Den Laman & Dive Friends, August 11-25, 2018 and Den Laman/Dive Friends Bonaire, December 3-14, 2017

Our Avis rent a trucks have been excellent. There is some "beach" on both sides of the pier, there is no pool. Gear storage is excellent and easy. Dive Friends boats leave the pier, only visit sites not available from shore. We ate breakfast at Breezes N' Bites the first year, good breakfast, but hurried on boat days. Made our own breakfast in the condo 2nd visit, much more relaxed. Yes, Breezes N' Bites has a bar, their dinners are quite good too, though we cook in nearly always.

Would be glad to answer additional questions

I know this is beat to death but I've got it narrowed down to one of these for our first trip to Bonaire and wanted another opinion on a few things to help me choose.

Vehicles - sounds like the trucks from Avis might be in better condition vs the ones provided by Buddy?

Beach area - from the pictures it looks like the "beach" area around Buddy might win in that dept. The GF likes to relax by the water and read after diving. It appears that Buddy has a nice area to do so with loungers and shade. DL doesn't appear to have that? She doesn't like diving all day every day so I have to make sure she is happy...

Dive gear storage - looks like DL might have better/more secure gear storage lockers

Boat diving/Tanks - with more locations, I would think Dive Friends would make it more convenient for picking up tanks while shore diving. I swear I read somewhere that Buddy Dive boats often stop at a nearshore reef for the 2nd dive instead of staying at Klein or the Northern sites?

Thanks!
Nathan
Buddy trucks no problem, include with stay. You get the key during checki in at front desk so no additional line to wait on at any rental place. Breakfast at buddy is anything you want. Eggs any style, pancake, waffles, fruit, pastries,cereal, etc. my experience with boat dives at buddy is anywhere I want, may or may not be yours. Cannot be easier to get tanks for shore dives at buddy dive, both for house reef and drive thru tank pickup. Staff will even put tanks in truck if you ask. Security for gear at buddy dive dock area
is very secure, guests are assigned a locker and key for their stay. Buddy has a beach bar with sand area by pool,pool has seats in pool with bar service.
We have stayed at Sand dollar property / same area as Den layman and prefer layout at buddy dive much more.

Great info, heading to Bonaire with buddy dive in October.

We chose Buddy Dive last October. Like you, it was between Den Laman and BD. We chose BD because it had a pool. Didn't use it once. We did, however love the resort. Bed's were very comfortable and AC was nice and cold. Rooms were nicely appointed with all the supplies we needed. Breakfasts were good and plentiful.

We are going back to BD this October for the following reasons

1. It's cheaper than Den Laman and that means more restaurant budget.
2. We loved our room. Great view of both the ocean and the pool.
3. Nitrox is still included in the price.
5. Their drive through now includes lockers so it will be easier to coordinate tank and gear pick ups.

The truck was not a POS but the tires were. We had a flat second day out. From what I understand that is not unique to BD trucks. It was a good story to tell and wasn't the end of the world. Hub's was not happy when they tried to charge us to fix it (the jack that was provided was inadequate) but they removed the charge.

I had no problem with dive gear security. However, the lockers are stacked. If you have a first floor room you get a first floor locker. We had a second floor room and I am short. It was a bit of a problem but BD agreed to switch our locker for us. After that I discovered a stool in the storage area that would have worked just fine.

Can't provide any info on Den Laman's breakfast but BD's was wonderful. Omelette bar, eggs any way you like them, waffles, pancakes, lots of fresh fruit, cheese, breakfast meats and juices. We loved being able to mosey downstairs whenever we wanted.

We didn't do any boat dives so I can't speak to that. I was bit overly cautious our first time shore diving. We stuck to the southern dive sites. Next trip we'll hit the northern sites.

During planning, I fully expected to do 3 - 4 dives/day. We ended up doing just 2/day. After our morning/early afternoon dives we were both ready for a cold beer and some down time. Most days we said "we'll grab a tank later this afternoon" but we never did. I was fine that. The pace of the vacation was perfect.

Folks had told us we would regret not diving any sites at Klein. We didn't. Not having to schedule ANYTHING was the perfect dive vacation for us.

BD's has two restaurants, one is more upscale. We didn't eat there but we did have a couple of lunches at the bar/restaurant. Food was good and it was easy. Most days we stopped at Between 2 Buns and got sandwiches to take with us. Many on the board have recommended bringing an insulated grocery bag. I highly recommend it as well!

We froze water bottles at night, put them in the bag in the AM along with the sandwiches. By lunch time our drinks were mostly melted and the sandwiches were perfect.

Have a great trip!

Buddy Dive doesn't keep the real POS trucks - they give them to Caribbean Club. That's why we rent from AB and get the full insurance. Even with AB vehicles we've had a few minor issues, but they've gone out of their way to get them taken care of them quickly. The salt air is hard on vehicles so stuff happens.

Take a tire inflater everywhere.

Okay, two more questions for you guys. The GF will probably be done after two dives a day and will go relax/drink. Are there usually other divers around either place that you could buddy up with at the house reef or should I just plan on maybe picking up a pony and diving solo?

Also, it looks like April 5th would be a full moon, does that mean the 10th will be a good night dive for ostracods?

Thank you for the advice!

Oh wait I completely read that chart wrong, looks like the full moon is April 19th... I guess the question is the same though

You are over thinking this. Both are great locations, have good dive ops and house reefs. Both places have their supporters for various reasons. Flip a coin.

Re diving solo, with a personal profile of 25-50 dives, I would suggest looking for a buddy or going boat diving instead. Get some more bottom time and take a solo diving course before diving solo. You can get away with it on Bonaire but that does not mean you should.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom