Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm very surprised by the OP comments. I spent a week at Buddy Dive in early February of this year. Everyone in my group had positive experiences with the dive operation.
- No issues asking for and receiving 20+ weight
- No issues taking 4 tanks each at the drive-thru fill station even though the policy is 2 tanks each (we were diving side-mount with 2 tanks/dive.) I personally burned through 36 tanks over the week and never had an issue with a short fill.
- Nitrox was consistently 32-33% at both the dock and drive-thru
- We didn't do any boat dives so I can't comment on that part of the operation.
- Restaurant and resort staff were friendly and helpful.

I'm definitely going back.

We had a group at Buddy Dive this fall. We had an excellent experience.

Did I personally " see " some of the things that the OP mentioned? Yes.

Would it keep me from bringing another group? No.

I certainly don't understand what happened with the OP. We are currently on Bonaire and diving with Buddy Dive and have found Irene and the entire staff to be most courteous, friendly, helpful and professional. We have been very impressed with the quality of the experience at Buddy Dive. And the house reef...OH MYYYYYYY :D

I am curious as to why Buddy Dive has not responded to this thread. I have seen many, many replies to posts on TA. Thanking people for positive reviews or trying to address complaints.
Shows me that owner/management are concerned about customer service
Maybe SB does not allow?

I appreciate all of the responses. Maybe Buddy Dive was having an off week. Just possibly the previous week had a lot of problems and the staff were burned out. (I understand that from my own business) At any rate, perhaps as others visit Buddy they can let us know if this is a trend or just a few questionable incidents. (BTY I forgot to mention that the 24# diver is a dive instructor so he definitely knows how to dive. So if Buddy is reading this, please keep in mind that you don't know who you are talking to until you get to know them.)

FWIW, as you have mentioned, people can have off days/weeks. It is bad that it ever impacts the customer but sometimes, even with the best of intentions, it is unavoidable. Both times I was on Bonaire, I dove through BDA. The first time the woman (who I believe is either co-owner or the owner's wife - I am not certain) was the world's biggest "cranky non-pure bred dog" to me. Her attitude carried on through the whole week. I ended up just avoiding her altogether and dealing with others. The second week she and I had a couple comfortable conversations and she seemed happy to be working and dealing with people.

Sometimes, bad weeks just happen and I suspect that this is likely what happened here with Buddy. As you've seen, the majority of the feedback is positive leading one to believe that perhaps your experience was an anomaly. Let's hope so.

I am curious as to why Buddy Dive has not responded to this thread. I have seen many, many replies to posts on TA. Thanking people for positive reviews or trying to address complaints.
Shows me that owner/management are concerned about customer service
Maybe SB does not allow?

Often resorts do not seem to respond to these SB thread, at least not until later, when some one calls their attention to them. Not everyone in the sport or the support industry spends as much time on SB as some of us do.

Personally, I am really looking forward to our returning to BD this coming summer for the first time in several years. In recent years we have stayed at Den Laman, The Plaza, and at several small off site rentals. None of them were perfect, and none of them were horrid. As for attitude, I got the worst of that at Den Laman, but as distasteful as they sometimes can be in the shop there (Very moody manger, I gather), they are still on my OK to stay with list.

I will say, if I am staying off site, I always use the unlimited shore package threw BD. I just like their set up, their convenience, and the staff (as well as their house reef- especially for night diving).

I appreciate all of the responses. Maybe Buddy Dive was having an off week. Just possibly the previous week had a lot of problems and the staff were burned out. (I understand that from my own business) At any rate, perhaps as others visit Buddy they can let us know if this is a trend or just a few questionable incidents. (BTY I forgot to mention that the 24# diver is a dive instructor so he definitely knows how to dive. So if Buddy is reading this, please keep in mind that you don't know who you are talking to until you get to know them.)

You also forgot to mention any explanation as to why any diver needs 24# in tropical waters. There clearly should be reasons that you seem to want to withhold. I'm thinking that you might have just managed to rub some folks the wrong way with a series of minor incidents.

You also forgot to mention any explanation as to why any diver needs 24# in tropical waters. There clearly should be reasons that you seem to want to withhold. I'm thinking that you might have just managed to rub some folks the wrong way with a series of minor incidents.

As a species so proud of our ability communicate, often we do not always communicate all that well. Often very little misunderstandings of some one's word, message, or delivery style can set people on the wrong path, right from the beginning.
Once folks have a conflicting impression it can take an effort to get back on track, if they even realize they got the wrong message at all. VERY easy to make things worse, if you do not realize this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom